Xotic Bass BB Preamp vs. Catalinbread S.F.T.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by 8strings0hair, Dec 21, 2009.

1. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

I've owned the BB Bass Preamp for a while, and absolutely love it.
    It's very touch sensitive and since I tap on an eight string guitar, it's important to have grind but also definition.

Lately though I've been curious about the Catalinbread S.F.T., especially since the controls are identical.

Does anybody own both, and can therefore enlighten me on the similarities/differences?

Much appreciated.

2. shojin

shojin Member

I own and use both for different applications because they are quite different to my ears. I use the SFT for B 15 low gain fur and I use the Bass BB pre for high gain distortion.

I would describe the Bass BB as a more transparent effect that lets the tonal characteristics of your bass amplifier through and the SFT as more of a vintage tube amp (B15) emulator that does low gain and high gain equally well.

Both retain lows very well.

3. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Thanks Shojin!
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Great description, I defnitely get the idea. Makes me want to get an S.F.T. even more :D
    Happy Holidays!

4. shojin

shojin Member

You're welcome... I'd get the SFT, keep the Bass BB and run them alone and together as needed.

My current favorite signal chain (all on) is: bass guitar>Bass BB pre>SFT>MP Snow White Auto Wah>Nano Small Stone>amp.

This gets me to psychedelia pretty quickly!

:rockin