XOTIC BB Comp Preamp.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Mar 15, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Have any of you played the BB Preamp Comp? I talked with Xotic tech support and they say the middle position has almost no compression, the normal position is normal BB and Comp is Timmons mode. That is my dream pedal.

The BB was my go to pedal for years but I ended up selling it. To be honest, looking back, my most amp like and most punchy and powerful sounding OD pedals were always the Xotic. How do they do it? I may have to get back to Xotic with the BB Comp.

Any of you with somw experience with it???

Thanks.

2. jchan

jchan Member

The BB preamp comp has a switch to change the diode clipping configuration to give more or less compression.

I also like the BB, AC and RC boosters. They are basically tube screamer type overdrives with varying diode configuration for more or less clipping/compression with a flexible EQ circuit. They are great because you can dial them in with the EQ for you rig and music style. They also stack really well. A RC > AC > BB is a very nice and flexible pedal stack that can used with many different rigs and playing styles.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yes, I had the RC, AC and BB. Hated the RC. The BB was good, but what is diode clipping? How does that differ from FET pedals like my Sonic Edge or Fulltone pedals?

The BB blows the doors off traditional Tube Screamers.

Anyway, Xotic claims the middle position has no compression. However, I love compression!!!!!

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

Any other lovers of this pedal?

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

Amazing how I keep coming back to Xotic pedals. I finally got the BB Comp and it is fantastic. In fact, with my one amp, the PWE Event Horizon, I prefer the Xotic BB over my Bogner Wessex. The Xotic BB and the Sonic Edge J&J OD are two of the few pedals I have owned that work with just about any amp.

6. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

I've had the BB Comp on my board for years, and it has become an important part of my cleanish tones. I use it for that sparkly Andy Timmons break up sound, and it does that so incredibly well. Love that pedal!

7. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I really like my BB Preamp. I don't use it in my live rig currently, but it is one of those pedals I won't sell.

What I do use in my live rig is the RC Boost, but in an unusual place. I use it at the end of my fx loop, 12 volts, no gain, always on. Because it can reduce as well as boost volume, it becomes my master volume control along with the brilliant shelving EQ. It's the finalizer in my rig, no matter what amp I'm using. It can be as neutral as I need it (I always start out neutral at a gig and adapt only as needed).