Xotic BB-COMP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eliguitar, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I just received the new Xotic BB-Comp. I've been using the BB-AT for a while and the BB-MB as well depending on the gig.
    I've only been playing with it for a little while but Im really surprised at how good the uncompressed setting sounds. Its great for lower gain stuff! I already knew what to expect from the regular and the AT setting.
    I have a big out of town gig tomorrow and I cant wait to try it out with the band!
    I sometimes use an E Burst for a lower gain with slight mids and hair but I think the BB-Comp might work better for me.
    I'll post my thoughts after my gig tomorrow if anybody is interested.

scolfax likes this.
  2. Matt L

Matt L Member

Interested. Hadn't heard about this pedal! I love my classic BB Preamp, but would like to try some of the other versions.

3. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I love my BB too and the main reason why I decided to buy it was that you have the original BB sound plus 2 more with the flick of a switch.

4. markmantle

markmantle Member

I havent been able to find any more info about this pedal on the xotic site... is there anywhere to check it out?

5. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

6. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

At first I was asking why are we doing a pedal like this, but the more I thought about it, it become more interesting. People would ask me about the compression levels in the BB. 50% of the users like the original (AT-BB), 50% like the new model. The mode without compression sound be great. I think this may bring some users back to the pedal, but we'll see. Looking forward to getting mine soon.

7. markmantle

markmantle Member

8. Matt L

Matt L Member

I just watched this clip, and it really sounds true....you get the original, the Timmons and a new "no compression" version. They sound identical in the clip. That's pretty sweet-

9. egkor

egkor Member

@Playloud, are you saying that there are 2 versions of the "regular" BB, a "AT"-spec and something later (and different)? I know there is/was a "AT" signature BB but I'm talking about only regular production BBs.

I just got a BBE Preamp "regular unit" after lusting for one for several years due to Andy Timmons' demos and tone. Just curious what I have (what spec).

Thanks,
    -Gary K

10. Matt L

Matt L Member

The very first "original" BB Preamps had more compression than the current regular orange BB Preamp. That's what Andy Timmons modeled his signature version after....the very early original one.

11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Around serial number 3600 I believe, we changed the "formula". It was minor, we removed a little compression. I tend to lean toward the AT-BB version because of the specific tone i was after. The new versions, post serial 3600, "breath" a little easier than the original or Timmons version as some call it.

hope this helps?

Hopefully in another 20 years, it will be the TS808 of our time.

12. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Supporting Member

I like the addition of the comp switch, I loved it on the AC Comp, but I would still want the mid-boost knob as well. That would be perfect!

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've owned the regular BB, BB-AT, BB+, and now the BB Mid Boost. The Mid Boost is clearly my favorite of them all.

I don't like Weiner's video - too much "hair" from his amp imparts a fuzzy artifact that my BB MB doesn't have. He should have used a truly CLEAN
    amp for the demo to get a true representation of the pedals.

That said, I'd like try the new BB Comp for it's new middle setting.

14. tibbon

tibbon Member

Damn that video looks good! I think I have a new standard and competitor for people making awesome videos.

Time to step up my game and get 2 more cameras...

15. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

So I had a few gigs this weekend and got to really use the BB. Its a keeper for me.
    I use the middle setting a lot for lower gain(no compression) and the AT(the most compression) for heavier rhythm and some leads. It feels great to have 1 pedal that can cover so much. I also used a tchula before the BB to push it a bit more for more gain and it sounded great!
    This is what I've been using in my small board. For gigs where I need more of a clean sound, I replace the tchula with a RC Booster.

[​IMG]

16. scolfax

scolfax Member

Yeah, I thought that was a strange choice for a pedal demo.

Anyway, you guys still using your BB-Comp's?

17. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Did a little comparison recently. Really dug the MB and the no-comp mode on the BB-Comp.

theCOkid likes this.
  18. scolfax

scolfax Member

^^^ Great vid! Thanks! I was pretty much sold on the Comp for the versatility but after listening to the video I think the Mid-boost sounds just a bit closer to what I usually want to sound like.

19. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I agree. Think I'll add the mid boost model to my line up. I've had the standard model for years and it is just a great pedal. I'd never want to be with a BB.

20. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I agree. Think I'll add the mid boost model to my line up. I've had the standard model for years and it is just a great pedal. I'd never want to be with a BB.