xotic bb pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neastguy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I had a rc booster for a while but everytime I turned it on it popped... does the xotic bb do this, or was my rc booster just in the wrong place of my chain (or defective)..... I might want to get dirty amp and stick this out front for extra gainage...

2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

and not to hi jack this thread but, what's the sound difference between the RC and the BB? Does the BB have more gain and that's it?

3. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

my understanding is that its between an AC and a RC

4. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

No, It's not between the AC and RC. The BB has the most gain of all the Xotic pedals.

Hamilton

5. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

Maybe I'm wrong as well but it was explained to me as sounding like a AC and a RC running together.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Xotic used to use a switch that doesn't seem to last, it could be that yours is going bad, mine just did.
    Greg

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Having owned all three at one time, I found that the AC does have more gain available. The BB has a touch less, but with the way it's EQ'ed flatter and the compression / sustain it has compared to the AC, it may seem equal.

Also, the BB has the dry / clean sound of your guitar mixed in with the wet / OD signal, so less saturation is perceived as a result if you're going into a clean amp. The AC is a thicker, more saturated sound.

I acutally liked the BB for LOW gain! Go figure! You can drop the gain a LOT lower on the BB than you can on the AC, to where it's barely breaking up and it cleans up nicely. Even at the AC's lowest gain point, it was pretty saturated.

-Ben

8. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Yes the BB can go from no gain (clean boost) to full gain. I can't see how anyone would think that the AC has more gain and is thicker sounding?? It's nothing like that to me. The AC is tube screamer-ish, but I wouldn't call it a thick sounding pedal. The BB when cranked up on the gain, is rather thick, but still has nice clarity to it.

The AC never really has no gain. At the lowest setting it still is pretty gritty, but not what I would call "saturated". I think our ideas of what is high gain are very different.

If you really want to know about the BB and AC, check out Allen Hinds clips on the Xotic site. He explains the pedals quite well.

Hamilton

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Yup Allen Hinds demo's really nail it.

Though I still don't think the AC sounds 'tube screamer' esque. To me, it's more scooped.

I liked the BB, but in the end I prefered my HBE Powerscreamer.