Xotic bb+ Plus preamp demo

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by jzucker, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. jzucker

3. jzucker

Since nobody's commented, I thought I'd throw in a few things I've discovered about this pedal along with the AC+.

When I first got it, I assumed the channel A was the boost and channel B was the "OD" channel. After much experimentation, I discovered that it sounds better to my ear using it with the OD assigned to channel A and boost assigned to channel B. Using the pedal this way, it sounds very close to the original BB preamp but with a built in boost channel. The boost channel can also be dialed in for anything from slight clean boost to full tilt boogie (Apologies to RS :D)

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have a BB+ coming in a few days, so thanks for the demo. Sounds like a killer pedal. Your demo combined with the Proguitarshop.com (which does more "rock'n'crunch") gives a very good idea of what this one's capable off.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I actually responded on another site where you posted this. I will ask again. Is this your Epi LP? Wonderful demo. I am curious, out of all the stuff you have demo'd in the past 3-4 months ( I have viewed them all), what have you decided you have to keep around? Thanks

6. jzucker

It's the Epi Les Paul with fralins unbuckers. I'm getting ready to replace the fralins though. I have a set of Dimarzio Air Classics, 36th Anniversary PAFs and EJ pickups. I'm going to try all 3 and see what I like best.

I haven't kept much of it. I still have the 2 grosh guitars, the sadowsky, the 339 and the epi les paul. I've flirted with selling the 339, the recently aquired edwards LP, the epi and my ceriatone plexi.

A few items that I wish I had kept:
    • Aquavibe
    • Jetter GSR
    • Ethos TLE
    • Kingsley D50

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

So after all those mods and agnst, you ditched the Ceriatone OTS? I agree about the GSR and Ethos, other than the Firefly (bought one based on your demo) those are the best dirt pedals you have demo'd imo.

8. jzucker

I tried to sell the OTS 2x but can't seem to part with it. The problem is that I just bought a K-Line tele and a Sadowsky Bass and need to come up with over $3k which I don't have. I had the ceriatone and my 339 forsale but they both sound so good I think I'm going to have to hold onto them....

I still have the firefly. It's a great pedal. Sounds good as a boost too.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, well I was so impressed with the Firefly, I picked up Nick's Earthtone for boost. My OTS arrives this week. Can't wait. Thanks again for all the reviews, I have learned a ton from them.

10. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Great video clip too bad it doesnt show you playing hehe.

Also i like BB preamp more than the BB preamp plus not sure why for me the classic bb preamp sounds warmer hehe :D :D

11. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Nice work bro! Sweet playing and good tones! The BB plus is an interesting unit indeed. I have a BB now stacked with a fulldrive ll and what I am hearing is very close in tone and texture.

Thanks for your demo JZ

12. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Awesome Jack!
    Not only is the AC+ & BB+ some of our top sellers, but they are also one of my personal favs.

Guys, check these out if ya have a chance.

Gregory

13. joemesser

joemesser Member

Very tasty playing. You're one guy who doesn't seem to overplay despite having lots of musical knowledge and chops. Kudos.

That pedal is too smooth for me though....reminds me of why I had to let my old BB go. However, the boost was quite natural sounding

14. Krank

Krank Member

Can it sound like the regular BB, ie. same circuit involved in one of the channels?

15. Artb

Artb Supporting Member

Bump!

I'm torn between getting the BB Preamp, or going ahead and splurging on the Plus version. I'm not really sure whether I need the boost or not. I might find I like it and have a use for it.

I guess the real question here is whether the BB+ can sound exactly the same as the BB (just with some optional extra features), or does it sound different?

16. jzucker

The plus sounds a bit different from the BB of old. They are both fantastic pedals and the + is more versatile but I have not been able to get the plus to sound exactly like the BB. I'm at the point where I'd like to have both.

17. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

The BB and BB+ are totally different pedals. The BB+ can't doesn't do the smooth compress distortion/overdrive thing. But what's useful is using channel A to boost the BB. That's a pretty cool tone.

18. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

19. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

yea + isnt so smooth as the original BB