Xotic BB Plus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluePowder, Jun 16, 2008.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I noticed there's not a lot of chatter on TGP about the BB+, yes I did a search! There's only a couple of threads with mostly overlapping information.

Anyone else checked out this pedal?

I tried one out in a store the other day through a Ceriatone Marshall combo clone. The pedal sounded awesome! I'm most probably going to get one for myself in the coming week.

However I'd like to hear from BB+ owners to see whether this is possible.

I've currently got 1 drive pedal on my board, a bjf dynared; I use an RC Booster for gain and volume boost functions on my dynared during solos etc. However this only gives me one flavour of drive tone which is distortion.

I was thinking of using the BB+ to replace the RC Boost before the Dynared.

Will it be possible to use one portion of the BB+ for boosting the dynared and when I want to, the other portion of the BB+ for adding another flavor of drive tones? :cool:

I'm looking to add more versatility to my setup, though the tone of the dynared is pure killer, a nice overdriven tube tone would be great too.

Thanks folks.

2. enocaster

enocaster Member

Full disclosure: My BB+ is in the Emporium right now...

That being said, it's an overall great pedal. As I said in a few other threads, as a standalone super low gain OD it makes my sound "smaller" due to the compression (this is also at bedroom levels). For me, that's a role I needed it to fill in my overall setup and that's why I'm selling it. At all other settings (including fairly low gain) it totally smokes - it gives a really saturated rock tone with tons of harmonically rich sustain. It will also give other OD's a nice dirty boost without totally taking over (provided the gain isn't cranked) and the 2 channels stacked is really, really rocking.

This may sound like I'm trying to sell you mine, but in reality I'm talking myself out of selling it!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  3. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I really, really love mine. It has a ton of volume so I could see it being used as a boost in the way you describe. However, it really shines when you dial in 1 side as your core dirty tone and use the other side as a solo boost. When I play a rock gig, or any gig that requires that type of sound, it's on my board. Great pedal!

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the tips folks.

My take is similar to you guys, the BB+ like the original BB shines the most playing through an already fairly dirty amp.

My dealer is nice enough to let me try it out through my setup first before making a full commitment, hope it goes well!

5. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Love mine- great chunky grind on the A channel, nice smooth sustain on the B channel, sings like a bird when both are one. Very nice tone controls, too.

6. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I use mine in conjunction with my OCD, for solo boosting (A side) or I'll use the B side as an extra gain stage as well as the A side for solo boosting. Although for a couple songs where I need a slightly smoother overdrive it is used standalone.

7. kensmith

kensmith Member

no comment on the BB Plus, but I have an AC Plus and really appreciate all of the flexibility it offers..in a really small form factor. Either A side, B side, A->B or B-> A, and all the eq optionsand dual sound choices on each side.....and that is before you start adjusting volume and gain :)
    Great pedal!

8. John Price

John Price Supporting Member

I tried the BB+ but ended up liking the original BB instead! To me the original BB has a sweeter mellowness about it that I couldn't get out of the + model. I also didn't like channel B that much. It just wasn't what I was looking for in a drive sound.