Xotic BB Preamp MB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dudinka, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dudinka

dudinka Member

2. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

3. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I like that there's a mid control. I have a DRRI and last gig I struggled getting the guitar strong enough in the mix. No mid control on the amp, no mic control on the pedal (ethos excepted). Mids are important to control IMHO.

4. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Ordered! Excited to see how this compares to my BB Preamp and BB Andy Timmons Signature. I can already tell that this was has a little bit more growl.

Hopefully Xotic migrates some of those features found in the BB+ Plus onto the trusty BB Preamp Platform. Although I never was a fan of the BB+, I've really started "re-loving" my BB Preamp after I made the switch from low output single coils to medium output humbuckers.

5. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Saw this yesterday. Looks really cool.

6. dudinka

dudinka Member

please report back, I have a BB-AT too and I wonder how they differ.
    gotta love that midz knob!

7. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

:aok

8. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I think it said it best, "it has more growl". Good way to describe it.

9. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I can't wait until mine comes in. The BB has been my go to tone for the last year. I gig with it every week and there's nothing better IMHO.

10. gearboy

gearboy Member

So should we assume with the mid knob at noon, you have the stock / current BB sound?

11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

No, its just a little different from the standard BB

12. strattitude

strattitude Member

Cool! The mid knob is exactly what I was missing on the regular BB. I sometimes struggle to cut through the mix with the regulaR BB. So Very cool!!

13. edgie

edgie Member

Just bumping this thread to ask:

1.does this have more gain than the regular BB?

2. I understand that the mid knob is more for hi-mids than low mids so it's not another TS clone. With that said, does the mid knob affect the compression of the pedal? I kinda find the regular one too compressed for my taste. Even if roll down the volume knob for clean sounds, the compression is still there. I hope the BBMB has more dynamic compression.

3. Has anyone tried this with a Cbread DLS for hi gain marshall tones?

14. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

I have the regular bb and 3 weeks ago I got the bb mid boost. and I find that they`re different. I find the bbp mb to be little bit more modern, it sounds smoother, better for leads. does it has more gain? well, I think not but the mid control changes everything the gain it`s more fluid, with more sustain.

I feel that the regular bb it`s like a raw amp, while the bbp mb it`s kind of a zendrive type of tone. they complement each other very well, I use the regular bb for low gain and the bbp mb for leads. sometimes I stack both pedals for a very heavier distortion.

15. edgie

edgie Member

Thanks so much. It's now in my GAS list. Been looking for a flexible OD with a smooth attack to pair with my DLS and based on your description, this fits the bill.:)

16. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

has anyone else tried one of these?

17. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Yup - I like it. I think it's kind of an improvement over the original BB which I have always liked too. I can see some guys preferring the original but I like both and tend to favour the MB because of the extra punch. I usually have mids between 10.00 and 12.00.

18. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, I love the stock BB, can you get that tone out of the BB-MB or is it totally different?
    thanks

19. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

It can get really close.

20. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Personally, since I have the room, I'd rather have the BB Plus because you get two different options on one pedal. I will use channel B for a mid boost, Tube Screamer type vibe and B for an OD type pedal. I know channel B is more aggressive but if you keep the gain low and mids up a notch you get a nice tube screamer effect into a low to medium gained amp.