1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Xotic BB vs. Fulltone OCD...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Oct 8, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Can owners compare these two pedals for:
    - Gain range and tone
    - Note definition
    - Noise

Thanks!!

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I actually found that they sounded quite similar, or at least could cover pretty similar ground. Although I'm sure others will disagree! I think it depends a lot on what amps/guitars you have and what sound you have in your head, but I prefer the BB because it sounds fuller to me.

There is a bit of a dip in the high mids in the OCD which I find unpleasant. It sounds a bit harsher to me in the top-end also. I like having the bass control in the BB.

They're both really good and both can do the low-gain thing well, which is where I'm at. Both are quiet at the levels of gain I use, note definition is excellent on both but I find that the BB sounds less like a pedal than the OCD. Just my 2c.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Jimmy.
    How 'bout the amount of gain. I use my BB for high-gain - I max it out. What is the OCD like at the higer gain settings. Still similar?

4. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I can't comment on the BB, but I just got an OCD, and am very happy with it. I was looking for an OD pedal that added harmonic content to the drive, not just boost or gain, and I have found that the OCD does this very well.

Although I understand JimmyR's comment about the mid-highs, I have been able to compensate for that with the tone controls on the pedal and my amp, and for me it isn't an issue. Although there is a harshness to the pedal, that same tonality helps the guitar cut through the mix while playing in context with other band members.

I can't make a blanket recommendation for this pedal to be used with all types of music, but it works well with the stuff I play, which is blues and jazz tainted rock. I'm digging it!

-jm

5. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Wow! I never get much past 9.00! Sorry, I don't have the OCD to compare them any more. But I know that it has a lot more gain than I would ever use!

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the info!

7. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I owned a BB for a brief period, did not bond with it, traded it in for an OCD. The BB reminded me of the Zendrive, too compressed for my taste. I was looking for more of an 'amp in a pedal' I guess.

8. rabbit

rabbit Member

Did you play it loud? (I think you did, just to make sure)
    The BB really shines in a band context. I think it is very amplike... Maybe it matters what kind of "amp" in the sense of amp like you are looking for :AOK .

amptex likes this.
  9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

The BB and Zendrive sound different to my ears. But initially I did have a similar impression about the BB, but that was at quiet levels. When I turned things up --- WOW! I messed with the eq a bit and found that taking the BB's treble down a bit was beneficial, too. It's also more transparent than most other OD's. More of my guitar's original sound shines through. Chords and single notes sound equally good on all pickup settings.

10. dnumde

dnumde Member

I had a bad initial experience with the BB, due to low vol practicing. After which i used it with my band, at jamming levels...now that's where the praises were justified. I haven't got the chance to try out an OCD personally, but the BB has more than enough gain for me....actually the gain doesn't seem to increase past 11 or 12 o'clock, and the compression sets in.

BB has that clarity and "open"-ness to it, no issues with noise for me either. Hope that helps!

11. Jack

Jack Member

OCD has a lot more gain than BB. OCD can get much fatter and dirtier-probably more than you would need, as others have commented. I think the BB would get you more individual note definition because each note would be less fat.
    I used to own an old OCD. A/B'd a new OCD and BB in a store 6 months ago and this was my impression, so I have much less experience with the BB.

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I know the OCD has more volume (boost), but the OCD also offers more distortion than the BB?

14. cameron

cameron Member

Yes, quite a bit more.

The BB also adds lots of compression, which the OCD does not.

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

16. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

To the guys that asked, yes I played the BB at fairly loud 'live' levels as well as practice levels. I just didn't care for its dark voicing and what I perceived as its lack of dynamics. Then again, I also did not bond with the Zendrive, know I'm in the minority as far as that goes.

Yes the OCD has a fair amount of overdrive available, but I prefer to use it as a very low to medium gain OD pedal, as a thickener for my Strat w/ Fender amps. I can't say that I recommend it for higher-gain duties where a smooth legato might be desired, can get quite harsh and is not a sustain machine. I'll have to experiment with putting a boost in front of it again, need to borrow one.

17. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

I find the BB shines in a Band context. As far as the gain not getting much higher after 12 o'clock on the gain knob. I usually crank the volume on the BB first. When the amp is really cooking and the BB is boosting the front end of the amp, the gain knob starts to add much more saturation after 12 o'clock. It isn't a metal pedal but it can rock! It can be an intensely heavy pedal for my tastes. I think the BB and most of the Xotic boosters are designed to sound their best at gigging volumes and the pedals themselves really start to open up when their own volumes are turned up past 11 o'clock. I personally like the volumes set up at 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock sometimes louder. The pedal does not sound dark and it's EQ responds extremely well. It's treble knob really determines whether you are going to get a more smooth overdrive/distortion or a more open edgey marshall sound. They do not sound great at bedroom levels unless you have a wicked master volume on your amp.

18. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

You might have had one of the first ones. They revoiced the BB the same way they are now revoicing the AC boosters. It is much more open sounding now. Just for the record I do like the OCD as well. I unfortunately only tried the first versions of the pedal and prefered the BB at that time. I would love to try a newer one, but I think my dealer and Mr. Fuller are going through a bit of a 'rough patch' in their relationship.

19. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i too can get a "similar" sound out of my BB and zen, but....... compressed?? the zen isn't nearly as compressed as the BB at least to me.

20. Plexed

Plexed Member

I went and compared my OCD to the BB, as the Xotic clips sounded cool. I only had the chance to play at moderate volumes, but the OCD seemed way more powerful, open, and aggressive to my ears. I have a feeling the BB shines in a band context with volume way up. For reasonable volume levels or playing solo I felt the OCD had much more of a raw rock sound with a lot of power! BB is cool, but not cool enough for me to give up my OCD. I may get another pedal, but right now the OCD stays put on my pedalboard!