1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Xotic doesn't seem that popular anymore -- why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordThurisaz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I think Xotic has some great pedals (the various iterations of the BB, AC and RC are killer, as are the mini pedals), but they don't seem too popular around here anymore. Is there any reason why, or have people just moved on?

Anyways, if you love Xotic Effects, post what you're using below. I'm using an AC/RC-Oz, BB Plus and AC-Comp. Might add another one in the future. Meanwhile my VFE, JHS, Wampler, ProCo, Boss, Smiletone, etc. drives are all sitting in their boxes in the closet.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

They’ve always seemed solid to me - love their Wah.

markjsmith, coltonius, xrcdan and 2 others like this.
  3. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

I’m about to pull the trigger on the two new ones they just released

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I don’t know.. I’ve had an AC (my fave), an RC and a BB...they all felt dry sounding with a peculiar feel... that’s just me... they are all fine pedals and are made very well.. sold them all for different Lovepedals.. much more my tones and feel,,,,

5. monstermike

monstermike Member

I’m seeing a lot of EP Boosts out there.

6. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

I’m an EP boost, and wah mofo my self.

7. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I bought an ep booster for my son and am pretty jealous. Good stuff.

Mugs and LordThurisaz like this.
  8. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Supporting Member

Yup, they're still everywhere. With good reason, great colorizer.

LeftyGtrPlr, mrwolf and LordThurisaz like this.
  9. JackBurton

JackBurton Member

The SP comp is on my board right now. Also have the EP

temple12, Blueskies4, jkr and 2 others like this.
  10. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

The buffer and booster?

Might be time to buy yourself one, eh? Lol

amstrtatnut likes this.
  11. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I would but, Im pretty happy with Wampler Euphoria. It fattens, sweetens, and adds hair as needed. Very natural sounding.

My son and I play in the same band so, in helping him with his board, Im trying not to duplicate mine.

12. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

I think one needs to acknowledge that the overall popularity of a pedal company isn't reflected with popularity and hype on TGP.

Xotic makes great pedals, and I'm sure a ton of players around the world are happily using them right now. TGP is just a very, very miniscule fraction of that world. The shelf-life of most pedals and companies is rather limited on here.

13. Kelly

Kelly Member

Currently using the oz, had the rc on my board since 2006. You still see xotic stuff on tons of pro boards.

14. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Ah, fair enough then. It'd probably be superfluous then given that you have the Euphoria and play in the same band with your son.

I know, but it seemed like Xotic gets mentioned a lot less lately, especially compared to other brands.

And I agree, they make killer pedals. I'm tempted to get a Joyo Zip Amp since it's basically a BB Comp for $50, but I'm positive it'd just make me want the real thing. Plus, I get quite a few tonal options with the three pedals I have from them currently.

The AC/RC-Oz is pretty killer. I love using the AC side with Ch. B of the BB Plus the most, and the RC as a solo boost for whatever I am using.

15. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

I’m not sure you can equate how often they’re spoken about against how often they’re actually used. I’d venture to say people are probably still using their products just as much, they just haven’t had (until now maybe that new offerings at NAMM were introduced) much NEW to talk about.
    EP Booster is still always on on my board. What else is there really to say about it anymore?

Jescar and amstrtatnut like this.
  16. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

To my ears and fingers, they have a very distinct flavor. Scooped, bright and expressive. I guess it's not for everyone. I had a BB that I adored initially, but I just ended up never using it. It's very particular.

BluesBUSTER and Big in Japan like this.
  17. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

I love me some BB Preamp, and I'm thinking of checking out that Super Sweet thing one of these days. They may not have the flashy-value of some newer kids on the block, and the kind of player that is bothered by, for instance, the font used on a pedal's branding* may turn a nose up at it, but they make some of the best stuff around.

* if you said "good grief" or something like that in reaction to this concept, I agree with you. But there are players out there that are bothered by that kind of stuff. I've seen event the great OCD take flack over such matters.

Kriig and BluesBUSTER like this.
  18. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Great stuff and everyone should try their guitars WOW!!!!!!!!!

~ss

Andygee likes this.
  19. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I dunno... are you using it to get the Brown Sound? Seems to be the missing ingredient a lot of times when people go for that sound.

Hm. Mine sound pretty mid forward, though I don't boost the bass or treble, and if I do, I don't boost it very high.

Lol, people really care that much about the font used on a pedal? Good grief indeed.

Kevsonic likes this.
  20. oansun

oansun Member

These kinds of threads pop up like “x brand from 10 years ago: no love for these?”
    Xotic is solidly on a TON of boards, but man we know the EP Booster and RC and all that. Solid choices that we know what they sound like with TONS of demos for new users. Xotic decided not to release too many new things in the last couple of years and there are exciting new things to talk about. But man, we don’t forget, we just don’t have time to repeat the same things over and over