1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Xotic doesn't seem that popular anymore -- why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordThurisaz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I've used the SP Compressor a good bit. It's a perfectly fine pedal. I haven't used compressors much in the past but they're growing on me.

2. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I've owned and happily used the SP Comp and EP Booster. Could not bond with the SL Drive. I no longer use the SP Comp; moved to the Cali76CD. I sold the EP booster to a friend since it helped his tone so much with his Jazzmaster.

3. earwax

earwax Member

[​IMG]

Picked this up the other day. Been enjoying it.

4. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Supporting Member

I’m a bit of an Xotic fanboy. Have been using the BB since it was released. I’ve had the EP and SP for a few years now, and just picked up an AC last year.

scolfax likes this.
  5. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I disagree with the premise of the OP.

Been thinking real hard about getting a Super Sweet!

6. Teleman76

Teleman76 Supporting Member

While most come and go the RC is a staple for me.

Blueskies4 and dr smutglove like this.
  7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Every Xotic pedal that I have used which has been quite a few have been great barring the Soul Driven for me. They are still In the popular region of pedals

8. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Love their pedals but I love their guitars even more. I hope to own one soon!

Hanlon92 likes this.
  9. motokev

motokev Member

I have MANY different brand pedals. I collect OD pedals, it's my thing. The XOTIC BB is probably my favorite. Sooooo, I keep an eye out on XOTIC pedals because they are very good.

10. TheSmeeze007

TheSmeeze007 Supporting Member

Their pedals will always be awesome. RC is just a great boost. I used to run a BB in the clean channel of an OD 100 classic into a Suhr 2x12 with g12-65s and a strat with .11s down a half step. Dang that was the sound for heavy blues rock. Wish I never would have sold that amp...or the BB lol. No cure for GAS.

Seems to me like recently Xotic is focusing more on their california classic line of guitars. Those look awesome and I really want one. I used to love their reality web videos before YouTube became popular. Do they still do those?

LordThurisaz likes this.
  11. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

My RC is a must as a solo boost. It sits nicely in front of a crunchy amp. I have the v2 as well, but it's on the shelf at the moment.

I'm on my 2nd AC, remembering how much I enjoyed the first one. The BB is a great pedal, but I'm enjoying the JRockett stuff right now (BlueNote/45cal).

Didn't really bond with the EP Booster, but I have one. I prefer more tonal control. The SL was cool too, but I wasn't using it much and gave it to a buddy.

Xotic is a solid product. It's a great era for pedal geeks.

Kevsonic likes this.
  12. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

I've got an SP Compressor and don't use it because it just sounds too squished, even at the most minimal settings. Haven't sold it, though, so there's that.

I've also got an RC Booster Scott Henderson edition, which is on my B-board. I really like that pedal a lot, and if I had to gig with just an amp and ONE pedal, THAT would be the pedal (just like Scott Henderson). But I've unwittingly migrated to a stereo FFFR situation with my A-board, whereas the B-board is what I would use if I had to plug in to a regular mono guitar amp. But I have little reason anymore to play in to a mono guitar amp. So it's mostly friends who drop by who end up playing the B-board; it is pretty awesome.

But as of this moment, Xotic isn't making anything that scratches my stereo FFFR itch, so that's probably why I don't have more of their stuff.

13. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

At least 8 new pedal companies pop up every day. I may even be too conservative with that estimate.

Meanwhile my board might be the only one on the planet without an EP Boost. But I do have an SP Comp, so there’s that.

I think we often tend to talk about what we’re chasing more than what we’ve caught.

14. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

The satch man, Joe Satriani was using a regular orange BB Pre on his 2018 G3 tour pedal board!

[​IMG]

Blue Lizard, Kelly and HipUncle like this.
  15. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Solid company with some true classics. EP boost, AC and RC, BB. Maybe not the soup of the day any more but I’ll never be without my EP at least.

16. corbeano

corbeano Member

17. Blackguard13

Blackguard13 Member

I still see them around a pretty good bit. I see what you mean though. I used to see them on EVERY pedalboard including mine.

18. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I think they're on tons of boards... they are making great products that consistently sound good and are reliable. There are definitely brands that come to mind that are super HYPE and have a consistent online presence about the latest and greatest, but these seem to stand the test of time on a lot of pros boards. I wouldn't say they are less popular.

LordThurisaz and scolfax like this.
  19. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

The EP Booster and the wah are both brilliant.

20. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

sp compresssor at the end of my dirt section

im also another “mostly new to compressors” person and like some of what the sp does to my clean and low gain signal

its def NOT for using with the high gain pedals as the noise floor increases too much when its on with say a cranked DLS