1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Xotic doesn't seem that popular anymore -- why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordThurisaz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. SGspecial

SGspecial Member

I have their wah and love it.

2. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

EP , SP and SL Drive and would like to get the V2 RC and AC. Stuff costs money.

3. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

I had the v2 on a 2nd board, and just never moved it to my primary board. That 2nd level of dirt was helpful.

I have several other dirt options on my main board, and that 2nd switch was more of a nuisance. The switches are fairly tight.

I'm calling it v2, but it's the Scott Henderson sig model. I'm pretty sure that's a v2 in a slicker housing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    djangobanjo likes this.
  4. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

They are still popular in their own special way!
    Love how the mini pedals that still can fit a 9-volt battery. Wish the other mini folk could figure that trick out!!

grapeshot likes this.
  5. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

That's cool. For me the thing that makes the BB usable is the 2-band eq. Channel A on the BB+ was everything that I don't like about a Tube Screamer: overly exaggerated mids, excessively cut bass, and a tone control that only removes treble.

But the B Channel is a good booster. I think if channel A had just been a standard BB circuit with bass and treble controls, the BB+ could have been a homerun for me.

No complaints though. I still have my trusty standard BB Preamp, and I can still boost it with any number other pedals. Life is good.

6. RJLII

RJLII Member

An AC Booster and a Scott Henderson Signature RC Booster are on my modest pedal board. They each have a unique voice and work well for my needs.

BBSuggs likes this.
  7. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

The first half of my board is Xotic

AC+ > SL Drive > EP Boost (>TC Corona > Carbon Copy)

Very very solid sounds with both single coils and HB even though i initially swore the AC+ was specifically designed for single coils my LP sounds great through it too (and my KoT is gathering dust...)

Stephans likes this.
  8. Stephans

Stephans Member

I have a BB midboost, and had the ACplus, BBplus and regular AC.
    All great products and sounds

Big in Japan likes this.
  9. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

<3 for SP Comp! Always-on.

10. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

I’ve owned and tried several Xotic pedals over the years....RC, AC, BB, AC Plus, BB Plus, EP Booster and I think they work with some amps better than others. The overdrives tended to sound 'plastic' to me once compared to similar drives out there. Like it was said earlier...."they all felt dry sounding with a peculiar feel". This is very evident when recording with a Fender style amp. That being said, I loved the RC Booster going thru lower wattage tube amps and sometimes boosted into other drives. I'm not a comp guy, but I did like the SP Comp I tried of a buddies.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i dont know if they seem popular or not still, but i'd say a good 50% of pedalboard videos i watch on youtube have at least 1 of their pedals. seems the small booster being the most picked choice. i had an AC booster and i liked it but didnt love it.

12. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Options. The market is just flooded with options. People still use the hell out of their stuff though.

amdowell likes this.
  13. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I think Xotic is still on the forefront. I use the BB Preamp AT and wah. Great stuff.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  14. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I can't quit the BBPreamp and have an Andy Timmons BB en route.

amdowell, BluesBUSTER and grapeshot like this.
  15. markophonic

markophonic Silver Supporting Member

The EP Booster has been on my board for years. I also have the SL Drive that I break out occasionally.

LeftyGtrPlr likes this.
  16. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I think they make the best wah on the market.

amdowell likes this.
  17. LeftyGtrPlr

LeftyGtrPlr Member

I love my EP Booster as an always on tone sweetener.

Still trying to figure out how to use the SL Drive to my satisfaction. Not thrilled with the dip switches on the inside to change the options, but I knew that when I bought it.

Have never used a compressor, however, I would consider the Xotic SP if I were to get one since I've heard nothing but great things about it.

18. atomicmoondog

atomicmoondog Member

I have the BB, SP, SL and the EP on my board. I have no plans to replace any of them.

19. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

Xotic makes killer stuff. The RC Booster is a classic for me, BB Preamp has been on and off my board for years but it does get a little too compressed for me. I really dig the AC Booster, Soul Driven is great as well. Would love to try to Oz Noy purple pedal. The wah is really nice as well. And that’s just their pedal line....haven’t even gotten to their guitars and basses. Really love Xotic.

amdowell likes this.
  20. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

I dig the SL Drive quite a bit.