1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Xotic doesn't seem that popular anymore -- why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordThurisaz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I'm going to be a bit shallow in saying that their reliance on acronyms doesn't do them any favors.

To be fair, a pedal named Granny's Mashed Potatoes or whatever isn't exactly descriptive or even suggestive of a pedal's intended use but it may at least create a bit of a mnemonic link between brand/model name and function.

I've owned an EP Booster (and decided it wasn't for me) and have tested/considered buying other Xotics but trying to keep track of AC, BB, RC, SP, SL et al along with all the Plus models is a somewhat confusing and therefore self-defeating exercise. Yes, any self-respecting guitarist should have an idea that the pedal's initials are often a hint regarding its antecedent but even a subtitle such as 'EL84-style overdrive' would be a nice thing to have.

tonedover and Hot In The Shade like this.
  2. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

I think the SL, SP, EP, Wah, and new boosters are a great and necessary next step in progressing the line. Prior to that, it was sort of the 'same-ol same-ol' (not saying they are not great pedals) with their trio of drive/boost pedals with only a few variations on the theme (custom voicings, limited colors, etc.).

3. voodoochili12

voodoochili12 Supporting Member

They were big in the late 00s and early 10s by virtue of the smaller landscape of pedal builders. They have been accused with stealing the design for the EP Booster from ClinchFX. I had an AC Booster and thought it was meh. RC Booster is a great clean boost.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  4. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Always solid good sounding stuff. I think they're not considered as 'boutique' as they used to be, so they don't get as much love.
    I could live with their catalog and do anything I needed.

5. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I have two EP Boosters, one for my home amp and one for my main board, love that pedal.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  6. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

When I used pedals I loved the EP booster. The AX8 has a pretty good version of the BB+

~ss

7. sertshark

sertshark Member

EP Boost here. Love it. Weird though how it seems more "boosting" to my DRRI than my Marshall 40C. With the DRRI, I can definitely feel the boost, but with the 40C, I can't tell a difference at all when playing live... but I love the pedal though.

8. big mike

BB and AC are modern classics IMO. RC is great too.
    I've bought all multiple times and rebuy. LOL Sell in fits of gas.

The greer Lightspeed replaced the RC for me and a Nobels ODR1 came to me made the AC not needed, but i'd love a dual AC or the Allen Hinds.
    Need to grab an EP though, the Archer isn't doing quite what I want in a boost. (better as an od)

I refuse to go modeling for now.

amdowell and ShredSquatch like this.
  9. big mike

Cuz the satutration of the marshall phase inverter. Since the fender is cleaner the boost is more significant. The Marshalls just treat them more like a gain stage.

10. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

All excellent pedals... I like how you said for now!

~ss

11. big mike

Never say never. It's easier to swallow later.
    Things I've said I'll 'never' do.

Never Buy a PRS (been through 20ish, own 2 I love).
    Never sell my hamers (flat radius necks killed me post carpel tunnel surgery)
    Never sell my Les Paul (see above)
    Never sell my 86 PRS (Cue Thorn)
    Never order a custom guitar (again cue thorn and kauer)
    I'll never need more than a tube screamer and a super
    I'll never sell my AC booster.
    I won't sell this one either.
    Or this one.

:facepalm

12. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I used the AC Boost for a couple of years and liked it but the mids seemed a bit smeared compared to some other pedals so I sold it.

It also did not seem to clean up much with guitar volume control changes.

-bEn r.

13. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I'm really liking the idea of the Super Sweet now. Treble boost, mid boost, bass boost, full range... Very understated and versatile. It's kinda brilliant.

You might like the BB Comp. It has a toggle switch for very compressed (Andy Timmons / older BBs), regular compressed (current production BB) and barely compressed (LOUD! it's like a boost).

LordThurisaz likes this.
  14. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I'm a translator so I type a lot and my left wrist can't tolerate the 12" radius on my deluxe Tele. Had to buy a 10" neck.

On the selling... When I sell stuff to make up for what I spent on new gear, I've noticed I don't really want the money. I'm just trying to alleviate my guilt... So I've stopped selling.

15. DSL74

DSL74 Member

I wish they would make a larger SL Drive with bass, mid, treble controls and an external super lead/super bass switch.

pomfret and metrokosmiko like this.
  16. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Not an unfair comment - i love their drives but have noted that they are best into a Brit style amp that is already starting to cook (what I usually play) than into squeaky clean Fender (which i try to avoid :hide2)

Stephans likes this.
  17. Jaji

Jaji Member

I have, and still use, a BB, EP, and SP. The SP is the best compressor I've ever used. The blend knob is perfection for me. The BB, when used with my Electro Dyne, turned that amp into a 6-mode monster instead of 3.

18. marsos52

marsos52 Member

my BB pre amp MB is keeper...many times, I feel like it would be even better if have two of them.

19. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

Very cool, thanks for the suggestion! I really love the old BBs regardless of all the compression. I have used it a ton for everything from classic rock to modern R&B/Fusion lead sounds. Really easy to dial in, which is true about everything I have tried from Xotic.

I am really interested in the new boost as well. Love the size and read that it has a buffer in it as well? I really like the idea of that. Would put my fuzz before it but I usually run fuzz first just to be safe bc of how finicky and temperamental they can be, especially when traveling and playing dive bars or smaller clubs where power situation can be decent at best.

I really think their guitars get overlooked when thinking about the high end F style boutique builds. Most guys think Dano, Suhr, Anderson, Whitfill, etc and rightfully so....all of those builders rule as well but not sure any of them are coming close to Xotic when it comes to the flame of the necks and the price of one used can be really great. I had a 60s spec burst Strat I got on here for 1700 bucks and I really wish I never sold it. Was a little heavy for a strat but def wasn’t a deal breaker. Guitar sounded insane and the most important part: felt and played really really well. My student played mine, bought an Xotic XSC2 from Carter in Nashville and will use it on gigs from time to time bc it sounds and feels so good. The Raw Vintage hardware and pickups are also very underrated as well.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  20. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

I love my AC booster. Have had it for like 10 years. Its like a growlier TS with way more control and ability to dial things in. Awesome and diverse little dirt box.

LordThurisaz likes this.