1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Xotic doesn't seem that popular anymore -- why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordThurisaz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Logsworth

Logsworth Member

I love my EP Booster. Every time I turn it on, it makes my guitar sing.

It 100% delivers on the middle pickup positions on my Strat. But the unexpected bonus is how fantastic it makes my Les Paul Classic sound.j

If I could only have one boost/drive/gain pedal, it might very well be the EP.

2. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

They are good, solid, well built pedals, nice tones, and readily available. There are others I like better, but would not hesitate to use one if what's available. There are a lot of good choices out there at all price points. They have good service also. Not a flavor of the month, but on plenty of gigging boards out there.

3. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Never wanted an EP Booster til I tried the one in my HX Stomp.... absolutely love my Xotic wah, except for a personal problem with soft switches in general.

4. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

I've tried about 10 different compressors and just picked up an SP Compressor, which I'm really enjoying.

In general, except for Boss pedals, I think a lot of the long-time brands are losing some luster to the new boutique builders. A boutique builder could take the SP Compressor, add a tone control, put it in a cool looking box, and charge $300 for it.

Terry Hayes likes this.
  5. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

Thats why I bought mine

6. plextasy

plextasy Member

I currently have the EP Booster and standard BB on my board. I used a BB+ in the past and while it was great (the Blue side was possibly the best clean boost before a dirty amp I've ever owned) I didn't love the overdrive sound as much as the standard BB or the BBMB mid boost model. Their wah is really good too.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their stuff. It's not "popular" on gear forums these days for some of the reasons pointed out by oansun above but it's a brand that many pros rely on, much like other workhorse gear such as the MXR Carbon Copy. My experience with their stuff is that it's tried-and-true in both sound and build.

7. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Still enjoying all my Xotic pedals. I have more Xotic pedals than any other brand except Fulltone. I have an AC Booster, SL Drive, and 2 SP comps

8. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

I see their pedals everywhere; I own an EP booster... however I have never seen anyone with their guitar or bass. Kinda pricey, but they do look nice.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  9. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

Xotic pedals are still very popular. This thread is on page 6 in less than 24 hours - that's how much people still care about Xotic pedals.

Personally, I find the gain pedals to have the capability of sometimes sounding sterile. I guess "too processed" would be a better term. It takes a little tweaking to bring out the sugar. I still keep around a BB, AC/RC-Oz, SL Drive and Soul Driven. They're all pretty good. The only one I sold is the BB+ because I had too many gain pedals at the time o_O not because it was a bad pedal.

10. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I still own a bunch of Xotic pedals (none of their guitars though). I will never sell my AC Boost. It is Baby Bear tone for me.

11. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

Only pedal I had from them was the BB with comp switch... Didn't find it too exciting that is was just a diode switch. They make alright pedals, just nothing super exciting outside of the wah.

12. 5150

5150 Member

I used to have the Xotic SP compressor, which I found too noisy, but I really like my Xotic wah. However, to this day, I do not understand why Xotic has never released a volume pedal in the same housing as their wah. It boggles the mind.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  13. Kriig

Kriig Member

BB Pre since 11-12 years.. Not going anywhere.

Liquid State likes this.
  14. cameron

cameron Member

They've been around for a long time, and they don't constantly put out new designs. They've got a solid stable of products - many of which are very common in lots of people's rigs.

So they're pretty much a known quantity. Hence there's not a lot of reason to discuss them.

15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I love my EP Booster. Gonna buy the Super Sweet soon.

16. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

My SL Drive has been in a drawer since I bought my Mini Jubilee, but the SP is a mainstay on both my boards and I just bought the wah pedal.

I think Xotic is becoming like Boss: people may not be talking about them as much but they’re still using them.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  17. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

This place runs on novelty. They've become establishment.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  18. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I'm definitely a lifer. I will always have their boosters on my boards. Currently loving the AC/RC Oz Noy.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  19. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

They didn't steal my design. Back then, someone at a DIY forum traced the Xotic pedal, and proved that the only thing it shared with our EP-PRE was that it used a JFET, but a different JFET from the one we use.

My design followed the original EP-3 circuit very closely.

Peter.

mdrake34, justabubba, Kriig and 2 others like this.
  20. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

Soul Driven overdrive...very smooth

edwardz likes this.