xotic EP Boost - What are your Solo boost settings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, May 29, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys,

I have an EP Booster that rocks.

For now I use it in the loop for solos. I like my solos to be on the dark side but I also like them to stand out and be fat, and nice saturation. I keep going back and forth with the 3db boost up and down and the bright switch up and down. Ugh. Can't decide. LOL.

yawiney likes this.
  2. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

Are you using your amp's dirt? If so, I'd recommend putting the EP in front of the amp's preamp so that you get more "fat"ness and saturation. Used in the loop, it's pretty much just giving the signal extra volume, not much more in the way of noticeable saturation.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

I hear ya. I have 3 ODs..in front as it is. I use my amp's gain and some pedals as well. In front is fine for leads when I am using low to moderate gain. For high gain, in front does little so I wanted something in the loop other than always using my amp's second master and lead boost. In the loop it still gives me a different flavor, fatter, warmer, darker set to vintage.
    Maybe just an EQ in the loop would be best. I love my pedals in front of the amp...Sonic Edge J&J OD,, Bogner Wessex and Burnley. When running the amp with lower gain, the Burnley gives a massive thick lead tone. Maybe I could try the EP in front again in place of my J&J OD and rotate them periodically. I still wish there was a way when I am in a higher gain setting and want to be able to hit one foot switch to increase level, saturation and boost mids a bit or shave off the highs
    Tough call.

4. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

No matter your overall gain setting, putting the EP in front of the amp's preamp is going to result in more saturation in the final signal than putting it in the effects loop, where it's only giving an increase in volume and a little bit of EQ coloring. Are you wanting more saturation or a louder volume for your solos? You kind of have to choose. Unfortunately, if you're wanting both, you're likely going to have to use a separate pedal for each.

5. yawiney

yawiney Member

^ or a KOT possibly?

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

Chris,

Thanks. A few friends of mine found the EP to be the best in the loop solo booster.

My amps have built on solo and second master boosts and I have TS and other pedals to use in front.

There are times I am running high gain and want something that does more than raise volume. For this I tried an EQ in the loop to get more mids and less highs plus volume. The EQ pedals were a pain for me, to much tweaking and never sounded as big as my amp with the built in amp boosts. I wanted something that sounds as huge as the amp or bigger, while shaving off somw highs and having the mids more pronounced...

I am still not ruling out a simple EQ like the Maxon 601, MI Audio Boost n Buff or a boutique para EQ. Maybe even the MXR Micro Amp or the new EP3 preamp thy make.

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Xotic Effects says the EP Booster works well in the loop. I only use it to make solos bigger, richer and a little bit of highs rolled off and more prominent mids.
    Other choices are the MI Audio Boost n Buff version 4! I am not a fan of EQs in the loop, because I spend too much time tweaking to find the right vibe and tone.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Wow, this EP Booster is ju8st amazing in the loop. I have friends who use it the same way, and it is off the charts great. Adds fat, bigger sound, thickness, saturation, volume and shaves off some highs. Nice. I also want to try a Boost n Buff next.