Xotic EP Booster + Catalinbread Belle Epoch?

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I recently bought an EP Booster that has become an always on, permanent part of my setup. Love it.

I'm interested in buying a Belle Epoch, but I know the two pedals are based on the Echoplex and wonder if they'll gel with each other, or if the BE's preamp will mess with the EP. (I used the EP at end of my pedals, so it would sit after the BE.)

Anyone try these two together?

Thanks!

stephanar

The belle epoch has a switch to keep the preamp on even with the pedal bypassed. Maybe you can do that and remove the ep booster, but I can't tell if they sound the same.

MogwaiBoy

The belle epoch has a switch to keep the preamp on even with the pedal bypassed. Maybe you can do that and remove the ep booster, but I can't tell if they sound the same.
I recall other people contemplating the same move. Not sure if it worked out for them but I don't see why it shouldn't - makes sense, 2 birds/1 stone etc.

IRG

I have both now, but the BE is fairly new to me still. I don't see any reason why not to have both. I have my EP early in my chain though, to drive other pedals. But I also added an Archer/Klone, not sure I need both that and the EP. I haven't messed with the internal option in the BE yet, but I want to set it for trails soon. Just haven't had much time to play with it still.

meowmers

You can turn down how much preamp colouration you need in the Belle Epoch.

But otherwise my gut feeling is that it might get a little too thick

daioni

I run both, haven't noticed anything negative. I'm currently trialing the epoch at the front (as suggested in the manual) and the ep follows.

ScreamTS808

I have both and it seems the EP Booster is better at the end of the chain boosting any modulation you are using, the Belle just in pre amp mode isn't all that loud and imo you are better using it before distortion.
I go envelope filter>compressor>fuzz> Belle Epoch>distortion>modulation> Echorec > Ep Booster> reverb>tremolo.

I tend to use the Belle for my dirty delay and the Echorec for my clean delay.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the info, guys.

There's a used Epoch near me for a decent price. I have a feeling it may be too much, the dual EP thing, in my setup, though.

DSL74

Reviving this topic for some updated thoughts, if any. So I want to buy an Xotic EP Booster and run it after a fuzz face then into a Belle Epoch then to an SL Drive or DLS MKIII set for low gain. Am I at looking at 'preamp overkill' with the EP and the BE being on at the same time?

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
I use both. Ep Booster after it (at the end of the chain). No qualms at all. Sounds rad.

JOATMOS

EP is great after a lot of pedals. I have one after an EHX Tone Tatoo and it makes the cleans on the chorus and delay settings sound so much better. Have another one in the Fx loop with a n EHX Cathedral setup w/stereo, slightly on helps the trails.

jojogun1957

I run both,

I been running the BE first as suggested by the maker for clearer repeats and the EP last.

I agree this seems to sound better.

Also try turning the rec level lower to clean things up.

Trending Topics