Xotic EP Booster into DRRI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LaceSensor1, Apr 21, 2016.

1. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Has anyone run an EP Booster into a DRRI?

Good, bad,eq or fizz issues?

Also with the internal dip switches, can any brightness issues be tamed?

2. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I have, but I prefer a Boss GE-7 as a boost with the DRRI. It seems to work better. Now, the EP into a HRDx or Blues Jr. is great.

3. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I use the EP Boost into a DRRI, SRRI and a 1966 Tremolux with 2x10 cab. I like the way it boosts just the right frequencies and gives my amps a nicer sound and feel. I also use the SL Drive by Xotic, great OD/Distortion pedal.

Signal Path: Guild Starfire - Japanese Girl Wah - SL Drive - Mooer Re-echo - EP Booster - amp

With these 4 pedals I can play most anything and they are so small that they fit in the pocket of my Mono gig bag making for easy transport in and out of a gig.

mdrake34 likes this.
  4. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I've been thinking about getting a BB Preamp and RC Booster, but I am equally intrigued about the SL Drive and EP Booster combo. The latter would be less expensive and take up less real estate.

5. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

a few questions regarding the DRRI and EP Boost:

1) Are you running the normal or vibrato channel?

2) what do you run your amp volume at?

3) If you run on the vibrato channel below volume of 5, is your bright cap clipped?

4) Humbucker or single coil?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to find a good boost for my setup. I have issues with the fizz thing and overly bright tones, maybe I notice this only because I play in my bedroom and not in a live band. I've got the Hungry Robot LG and the Wampler Euphoria, but for some reason I can't find pleasing edge of breakup sounds with either of those.

6. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

LaceSensor1,

1) I use the Vibrato channel

2) I run my volume at 4-5 most of the time

3) I have not clipped my bright cap, this is not needed! If you want less treble turn the treble control down.

4) My Guild Starfire has humbucker pickups, I also use a PRS Custom 22 with humbuckers.

7. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

I have an EP boost, and my normal "out" setup is a Diamond boost/eq into a princeton. I didn't notice any improvement subbing in the EP in place of the Diamond.
    My "in" setup is quite different and the EP is never off. The EP usually runs at it's lowest gain setting and works best to improve the sound of my Tele/Strat. Its less effective with my humbucker guitars.

Tuner/EP/SansampDI(for eq)/cathedral reverb in stereo/Corona chorus in stereo/stereo mixer->headphones

This setup allows you to mix guitar with an ipod and gives real guitar tones that blend with mP3s.

8. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Sure...into a real DR though, not a reissue.

Sounds fine. No fizz. But it's not a fizzy pedal to my ears.

I used to use it occasionally with my Strat or 335.