Xotic EP booster, loving it!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kurt1981, Dec 21, 2009.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, just got one of these little fellas, and I'm completely sold!!! I was stuck between this and the RC, and picked this, though I have an RC on the way. The two pedals are pretty similar, but I think a guy could justify both on the board, at least in my eyes.
    The EP is great, adds a nice bit of lower mids, and sort of a sparkle, even at zero on the gain knob there's a boost, so if you want your tone unchanged, I'd pass on this one. I know guys like to use some boosts to cut volume, and this isn't possible with the EP, nor can you really subtract bass, the bass switch seems to add a touch of low end. That said, this pedal works better than any I've tried at giving your overdrive pedals, or your amp, for that matter, a little push. I have it before my AC and BB pedals, to goose either for solos. It seems to add just a touch of compression and fatness to the sound that makes notes sustain and bloom if that makes sense. On it's own, the pedal doesn't add gain unless you have it loud enough to push the amp to overdrive.
    Switching the internal presence switch takes a touch of top end off, and really makes it a sweet boost for an overdriven sound, one thing I hated about a lot of boosts is they tend to make my overdrives harsher and more brittle sounding because they add highs. Not so with the EP. Running it after a brighter overdrive really helps smooth things out too, if that's your bag.
    So, to wrap it up, I'll be having both pedals on my board, the EP for boosting overdrives and fattening up clean passages and the RC for pulling a touch of low end out of my 335's signal. Sorry to be windy but I hope this little summary helps folks out who are thinking of picking this pedal up.
    Happy to answer any questions if I can, thanks xotic for another great pedal!!!
    Kurt

2. Juice Jenkins

Juice Jenkins Member

Thanks for the review and tips... I have one on the way.

3. Griz

Griz Member

That is definitely a very cool sounding little box. Sometimes those simpler designs are actually more useful.

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Two buddies have them. So amazing.

Mine arrives tomorrow. Might even leave it "always on".

btw, it works great on acoustic, too. Go figure.

5. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Sounds great in front of a Carbon Copy as well!