• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Xotic EP Booster

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Here are a couple of demos of my EP Booster. Can’t say enough about this pedal.
I use it as an 'always on' pedal for fattening up my sound on all guitars. Is fatter always better? Mmm. Maybe! I run it with the default internal trim pots. I also typically set it at the lowest setting, which is 3db of boost.

I’m thinking about getting another to use after my HD500—a popular usage is in digital rigs.

Here’s how it sounds with a clean tone.

And here’s how it sounds subtly boosting an overdrive pedal.

The guitar is a Creston with Lollar pickups into a Headstrong Lil King. The OD in the 2nd clip is a Zendrive.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm, guitar sounds anemic without it in comparison. It sounds so full but not at all distorted with it on.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, Heavy!

9fingers, it can sound that way (at least back to back) and I guess that's why it's best just to leave it on. LOL

It is a full sound for sure and as you expect, it is totally clean too. Though you could hit the front of your amp hard enough to distort the preamp tubes if you crank it up toward 20db.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
That's how I initially set up.....after the OD pedals and paired with my El Capistan.

I tried it here in front of the overdrives here to give the basic OD tone another option. It's viable either way, just depends on what your goals are.

My addiction to the pedal is mostly as a clean boost and a way of thickening my clean single-note playing, so it doesn't matter where I have it. The more I think about it, the more I realize I could use a 2nd one! LOL

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Really sounds good in your hands Arthur ..
However this EP doesn't work for me at all …
I've tried many times with both tweaking & pedal placement and really never liked what it does with my set-up

TexasHeartRush

Silver Supporting Member
That's how I initially set up.....after the OD pedals and paired with my El Capistan.

I tried it here in front of the overdrives here to give the basic OD tone another option. It's viable either way, just depends on what your goals are.

My addiction to the pedal is mostly as a clean boost and a way of thickening my clean single-note playing, so it doesn't matter where I have it. The more I think about it, the more I realize I could use a 2nd one! LOL
Thanks for the demo Arthur~ Great tone.

That's exactly how I use it. I think our tonal needs are similar so that may play a part in it. I use the EP to push my overdrives and use the RC to lift the overall signal. Its a great combination. I don't know if I would get the same result with 2 EPs? Anyway cheers!

RG

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks!

Joe, you have a fair amount of funk/dance rhythm guitar gigs, right? I can totally see this not working in such a situation where a "lean" guitar sound would be needed. But even on your solo guitar stuff? For me, that's where this excels, fattening up my single-line tone, especially the clean tone.

BTW, last week I was doing a trio gig with a new-to-me Glaswerks Zingaro. I found I was really digging the amp's boost for my clean tone. Combined with the EP, it was like Metheny on steroids. LOL.

RG, nice playing man, just checked out your page. Love country guitar like that!

I see you have the Ethos too. Another great pedal. Since I got the Zingero, I took that off my board, but I now use it in my home rig for some recording and with a Princeton clone. I think it's just great in front of a Fender to craft the EQ just the way you need it.

Trending Topics