Xotic EP Booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by secretchord53, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gooma

gooma Member

So how does it differ from Peter`s EP-Pre?

Maybee you can fill us in on the differences between the 2, you`ve gotta admit the naming and cosmetics and overall design look very much like a copy of the Clinch FX EP-Pre.

2. Grenville

Grenville Member

I though the term "Hack Butcher" referred to hobbyists doing inappropriate, messy and poorly thought through modifications to classy vintage equipment, needing an expert to come in and clean everything up. So why would you want to be called that?

3. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

before this thread I've never heard of the Clinch FX EP. Does it look at little like it, perhaps. The Clinch EP looks like its in a normal sized housing. Ours is half the size, like the new Lovepedal products (baby echo, vibe). Does it do the same thing, I don't know since I haven't play either as of yet.

Its our engineers take on something of the past. It's been done many times before. How many TS-9 pedals are out there. Not to mention all the Dumble clones.

Andy, feels my pain........

4. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Someone called my good friend Andy Fuchs that once. In this case somone called him that because he was building a Dumble style product. I just thought it was fitting.

The EP Booster actually came about after a discussing with Eric Johnson. The original we sent him was the size of the BB+ casing and it also had a loop feature in it. The pre amp sounded good, but I guess we didn't see a need for the loop since we have the X-Blender. Hence the small size. The color was chosen by the engineer and the knob, that was discussed at the last NAMM show. He wanted something a little different.

5. Grenville

Grenville Member

It still looks like you've ripped off the little guy, aesthetics and all. Look at the ****storm the Dano/PaulC thing kicked up.

6. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Playloud, nobody is interested in this degenerating to a name calling exercise. But to save you some time, I have cut and pasted from ClinchFX website. You will have noticed that at the end of his description he has respected the copyright to Dunlop Manufacturing. But respecting other peoples work is probably for other companies to do.

Here is a link http://www.clinchfx.com/ep-pre

7. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

How many different Tubescreamers are out there guys? Everyone has a choice of using which one they like best, it's discussed over and over. Now there will be a whopping TWO EP-3 like preamp device pedals on the market, it's really not that big of a deal, use which one you like better. The only thing that looks similar between the two is that they are both black, if it was white would that be better? I prefer the metal jacks as well and the small footprint won't hurt either. Nice looking transparent knob too!

8. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Look at the ****storm the Dano/PaulC thing kicked up.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean here, please explain.

9. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

The fact that the TubeScreamer has been copied endlessly still doesn't make it right. I prefer to think outside the square and try new things.

From what I have read of Mr Clinch, he spent quite a while building and refining his design, selecting components and toiling away for a few years building a fan base, and to have some faceless company alledgedly emulate his work, is a little weak.

10. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

Your kidding right :crazy

11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

From what I have read of Mr Clinch, he spent quite a while building and refining his design, selecting components and toiling away for a few years building a fan base, and to have some faceless company alledgedly emulate his work, is a little weak.[/QUOTE]

This is by far my favorite response.

12. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

That beats it hands down :beer and my fav to date :rolleyes:.

13. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Obviously, business is business. And like all involved in spin, you are trying to remove the substance and dilute or remove any question of ethics or corporate responsibility from the actions of xotic by trying to confuse people and provoke a slanging match.

What we will have all noted is that you have chosen not to reply to anything here with substance.

14. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Vendor

First, my apologies to all who have been waiting for an email response in the past few weeks. I've had a lot of things on my plate, including developing this:
    [​IMG]
    For anyone waiting for more than the past month, I do reply to all emails, so please check your spam folder. RickB, as far as I can tell, I haven't received an email from you. I don't run any spam filtering. Maybe you'd like to try again.

I'm not interested in engaging in a sh*#fight with Xotic or anyone else. I've never made any secret of the fact that the EP-PRE is a clone of the EP-3 preamp. The original EP-3 preamp has high output impedance and gives very little boost. It runs from a 20V DC supply and doesn't offer any selectable EQ. The EP-PRE uses a 9V power supply which is almost doubled inside the pedal to make about 17.5V, reasonably close to the 20V rail in the EP-3. The only adjustment on the EP-PRE is the volume control which is the same as the echo volume on an EP-3, wired in reverse. I don't claim ownership of the circuit. As I've stated many times, I built my first prototype because I didn't believe that such a simple circuit could make any difference. In the end, the preamp is just a generic JFET preamp with a couple of design errors. It's these errors that make all the difference and I find it embarrassing that I didn't recognize these errors until I began looking for reasons that this circuit makes such a difference.

The bottom line is that any pedal that offers selectable EQ, low output impedance and that operates from 9V DC can not be a copy of an EP-3 preamp. For starters, the EP-3 preamp will not bias properly on 9V. You can get it to bias on 9V by adding a trimpot or changing resistor values, but then it will no longer be a clone of an EP-3 preamp.

As with any effect pedal, the EP-PRE is not for everyone, and I have no argument with the few folks who have tried the pedal and haven't liked it. As many others have said, it would be a very boring world if we all thought and acted identically.

Yes, I am somewhat taken aback at the aesthetics of this Xotic pedal, but again, I have no exclusive rights to the concept of silver on black anodised labels - they've been around for a long time.

I was thinking about introducing another pedal called the EP-BOOST, but I guess I now have the incentive to come up with a better name.:aok It's all good.

I'd like to thank all for the support you've shown here and on other forums. I now have active assistance in building pedals from my wife, Mandy, who is also Diploma qualified in electronics. We'll be doing our best to catch up with the backlog within the next couple of months.

Thanks again, Mandy and I are truly grateful for all the positive vibes.:)

Peter.

15. gooma

gooma Member

1+

Being that i consider the little guy a friend i make no apology for being a tad pissed off right now.
    I know this sort of thing happens and happens quite often, but that still doesnt mean i`ve gotta be happy about it. It`s been done to death and is a moot point to argue.

If it`s total coincidence that it`s allmost identical to the Clinch FX EP Pre then so be it.

16. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

So, Pete what your saying is that you were forced to changed the designed of the circuit, because the original would not have worked with a 9v. Hmm, it may be interesting to do a comparison.

From the xotic web page for the EP-Boost (http://xotic.us/effects/ep_booster/)
    So which Paige is that, Elaine?

17. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I am not previed to any design information about this product or our other Xotic products. Over the years there have been very small changes to our products that I was only made aware of by some one here. The home office didn't even tell me.

Both the EP Pre and EP Booster are obviously going after the same thing. Many other products do as well. Do they look the same, after reviewing I'd say no. Ours looks more modern while the EP pre looks more plain jane. I'm certain its a fine unit as will the EP Booster be as well. But based on my relationship with Xotic, there is no doubt in my mind that they didn't "steal" the idea from the EP Pre.

Both pay tribute to the echoplex unit. I'm not sure what else you would like me to say.

18. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

was this something about the Timmy pedal?

19. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

I notice that, and correct me if I am wrong, but nobody here has used the term 'steal'. We do not have a product from Xotic, but we are going to try and get one now so that we can do a comparison.

It is very obvious that the external design is similar to ClinchFX design, so it is obvious that somebody somewhere was alledgedly inspired by ClinchFX work. Whether that person was a consultant, contractor or internal, we do not know. Perhaps Xotic bought this product from somebody claiming it as their own work, but that would show an appalling understanding of the effects market and the power of internet forums like this one.

Any credibility is long gone because obviously this discussion was not taken seriously. At least when Danelectro responded, they treated this forum with some respect and offered to investigate and rectify the situation. That was impressive.

20. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

that's brilliant; open arrogance and sarcasm in the face of the industry questioning your company's integrity. your lack of concern shows you have little understanding of the environment in which you post.
    it helps answer the question, I'll give you that.

speaking of favourite responses, of yours, that was 2nd
    first place went to this:

have you thought of going into politics? there's a suit somewhere you'd fit right in.