Xotic EP Booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by secretchord53, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gooma

gooma Member

That seems a tad unusuall for a sales rep of a product, but fair enough.

We`ll wait till it`s released to get the details on the design.

2. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

shame you hadn't heard of the EP-PRE
    you could have just told him about that

3. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Agreed, sorry the word steal was a little harsh, but I got the feeling or at least it was insinuated we stole something. Like I said early, we had a discussion with Eric Johnson and this idea came about. I'll find out why our engineer used those colors.

4. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Tell me about it, but it happened with I was with Fuchs to. Its embarrassing when someone on the gear page knows more than I do. I told them I need to be in the loop.

5. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Vendor

No, I retained the original EP-3 design but this forced me to add a simple charge pump power supply to provide something close to the 20V supply in the EP-3. The preamp itself is a SMD version of the EP-3 preamp. The real trick was in extracting it from the complete EP-3 circuit without messing with the circuit interactions.

It's nice to receive confirmation that I achieved my design goals.:aok I was specifically aiming for a plain functional look, similar to a lot of gear from the EP-3 era and also similar to the workhorse amps from any era.

6. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

We could never insinuate that something was stolen because we do not have those facts. That would be plain wrong, remember innocence before guilt.

What we clearly said is that there is perhaps an alledged similiarity between the function, purpose, description, inspiration and look of the Xotic announced product and ClinchFX product. I do not think that anybody on this forum has even used the term "strong", but I could be wrong.

7. rewog

rewog Member

Have Xotic previously made any other guitar pedals with an anodised aluminum plate attached to the front.. or is this (coincidentally) the first ?

Do you mean a little different to the Clinch pedal ? :)

Now THAT'S my favorite response !!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  8. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

seemed like some strong words, but I certainly was defensive and again using the word stole was perhaps inappropriate.

Also, when I said the EP-pre was plain jane, I certainly didn't mean any disrespect. It can be argued that some of our stuff is plain jane as well

9. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

10. rewog

rewog Member

11. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

There is one way to clear this up, pretty quickly. Show Xotic is a straight up company and send one to Peter Clinch to see if it is close.

This is not my call at all, but if you Xotic and Peter could discuss off line and sort out something if there are too many similiarities.

I am sure that Peter would be up to open up a dialogue with Xotic.

If there could be some agreement, we could close this thread off.

12. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Tell you what, you get dumble to send his amp to Fuchs, Bludo-tone, Two-Rock, Glaswerks, etc and yes we'll do that.

I was feeling a remorse about this thread but no longer. Yes we should share all our trade secrets with one another. stupid.....I'm done.....

13. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

That is precisely the response I expected.

Spin, argue, fain indignation, and then chuck your toys out of the crib. My 10 year old boy is less predictable

What sort of people do you think you have here? Most people here have built at least one pedal, they understand reverse engineering, they also understand that once it is available it will be taken apart and looked at.

I guess you want this to drag on, and on, and on. A simple suggestion.

At least Danelectro were big enough to talk to Paul Cochrane.

14. rewog

rewog Member

BTW - How awesome is this little guy !!
    Perfect to go under a board near the power supply I'm thinking... I never turn mine off anyway !

15. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I believe we're discussing the obvious here. It's common sense, folks...
    Is everybody free to copy an already existing circuit? Yes. It's been done to death with the TS circuit.
    Should there be some sort of ethics and respect for other's work? YES.

So, of course Xotic were free to copy the Echoplex preamp circuit, but the resembling looks are kind of irksome.

I would prefer to support the guy who first came up with the idea of putting this together in a stompbox.

16. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

with one minor amendment
    it would require the other manufacturers to send their amps to Dumble, not the other way around

you are not dumb
    le

17. gooma

gooma Member

Exactly,

Dave Leslie commented that the only thing wromg with the EP-Pre was that it had an off switch.

Looks like Pete fixed that:D

18. afterburner

afterburner Member

wow guys this is getting quite intense...

Since the person making Clinch FX has already stated that there is no way the Xotic is a rip of of his circuit design, I think it's fair to say that Xotic did not clone his pedal. Sending the Xotic EP to Clinch doesn't make sense to me in this case.

What's more of a debate is the look of the pedal. I think 'plain jane' is easily interpreted as harsh and I would hesitate to use such a term. However, I myself think that it's more of a coincidence; Xotic does painted pedals, chrome, copper, and finished ones like the BB+. Black brushed aluminum seems logical to me.

I was hoping for a more measured response from Xotic though...

19. sutherland

sutherland Member

Agree, however, it's too blatant and well thought out to be considered a coincidence. The pedal is far to polished and seemingly "evolved"....

I will say this though, this thread has done nothing but fan the flames of GAS for the Clinch EP-Pre.

side note: What exactly was the tie between Fulltone and Xotic?!?

20. afterburner

afterburner Member

Hmmm I would expect any product to be well thought-out but I guess if I knew of the Clinch EP-Pre before this I might have thought Xotic was ripping them off. But then again, a black case, as Clinch said, is nothing new. I actually thought the Clinch box looked like those Demeter pedals.

anyway, I myself have GAS for the Xotic EP, if maybe just for the size.

I know nothing about any relationship between Xotic and Fulltone either. Xotic founder was a Fulltone employee??