• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Xotic guitars? Are they partscasters?

cardinal

https://xotic.us/country-of-origin/

For their guitars, Xotic says that 46% of their costs are parts, with 32% the cost of parts from the US (with single-digit percentages for parts from other countries). Given the low percentages for parts from other countries, I assume the bodies and necks are coming from the US. But I can't tell from their description of whether they are cutting their own bodies and necks or if they are just coming from someone else who happens to be in the US.

JPenn

i work in a machine shop, and we have some great machinists and we have button pushers. i wouldn't automatically assume cutting bodies & necks in house will make a guitar better.

that being said, i don't really buy into the "master builder strat" either. if i can buy finished parts for x amout of dollars, i have to assume that a company producing guitars should be able to buy in quantity much cheaper that what i'm paying.

i want people to get paid for their skills, but i'm not sure a good setup/fretwork is worth $2000-$3000 more than what i can put together basically a strat or tele.

2HBStrat

I've been to the factory & they make all their own parts.
All....?
Danocaster did not make his own necks and body’s Nd everybody loves them including me, what difference does it make if they source their necks and bodies.
I think it makes a BIG difference. Literally anyone can buy a pre-made body, neck, and other parts and assemble a guitar....

bibletoter

Gold Supporting Member
All....?

I think it makes a BIG difference. Literally anyone can buy a pre-made body, neck, and other parts and assemble a guitar....
I don’t agree but am interested in why you think it does. Can you explain why?

2HBStrat

I don’t agree but am interested in why you think it does. Can you explain why?
Having a screwdriver and a hammer doesn't make one a master carpenter even though they have the tools and capability to drive a screw or a nail...

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
Having a screwdriver and a hammer doesn't make one a master carpenter even though they have the tools and capability to drive a screw or a nail...
Do you know for a fact Xotic guitars are "parts casters"?

~ss

fescue

If company A is buying Tele/Strat bodies from Acme Inc., and company B is making it’s own similar shaped bodies, and there is no big difference between the two, then how could one be better than the other (as long as wood quality/grade and assembly is the same)? I think the big difference is how each builder customizes the finish and puts its own spin on the final product.

2HBStrat

I'm asking!

~ss
To me if a company makes their necks and bodies in house from blank slabs of wood it and finishes the guitar out it puts them in a different level of luthieriedom than another company that buys pre-made necks and bodies and slaps 'em together, but I realize that that might be a fine line to others. Even at that the bottom line really is, and should be, the quality of the end product.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
To me if a company makes their necks and bodies in house from blank slabs of wood it and finishes the guitar out it puts them in a different level of luthieriedom than another company that buys pre-made necks and bodies and slaps 'em together, but I realize that that might be a fine line to others. Even at that the bottom line really is, and should be, the quality of the end product.
I agree but I think Xotic makes their own stuff I'm checking into it now to be 100% certain. The quality of the guitars I've played is top notch.
Have you played them?

~ss

Trending Topics