Xotic OD's. (BB Booster) need help right away.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Howdy all,

Could a few of you give me some thoughts on the BB Booster?
    I am very unfamiliar with it.
    I have read about it at the Xotic home page, but still need some help from some of you that have used it.
    I play through a plexi, play a strat, and love Hendrix/ Blues. I plan on stacking the BB Booster next to a good fuzz pedal.Maybe that will help you see if it's application fits my needs.
    Fire away, and thank you so much.
    Best regrds,
    Mass

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The BB is an incredibly flexible pedal. With the gain way down, it can be a great clean boost. Gain way up it can peel paint. And then there's everything in between. I have A LOT of high end pedals and the BB stays ;)

jon

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks.........
    See, I have a theory. I believe that with a good OD and a touch of the right fuzz through a plexi, I can get the tone I love (60's Hendrix) at lower volumes.
    But, right now I am running a Jeckyll & Hyde along with my fuzz and although it is passable, I think better tone can be had. It was just today someone turned me on to the BB Booster.
    Take care,
    Mass

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

it just may over marshall your marshall! it is a fantastic pedal! it reminds me of the barber direct drive in it's voicing, however...... better bottom, less mid's,and less compression,
    very open and full. great eq capabilities as well!

5. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have to check a BB out. How does it sound into a clean amp? Enough gain by itself? Thanks.

6. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

My question to those who are Xotic owners: IF u have a BB pre, would buy an RC boost , too for times when you never wanted to use the BB pre with the gain off and used as a boost? Or is the BB pre as a boost JUST as killer?

7. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

the bb has a definite "marshally" inherent tone, for lack of a better adjective. blueswail was right when he said it might just out-marshall your marshall.

i own the rc, ac, and bb pedals and they are all very different. the bb and ac can be used as clean boosts, but neither is quite as transparent as the rc in that capacity. then again the rc can't get into the overdriven range that the ac and bb can.

to over-generalize, the ac has a more "fendery" overdriven tone compared to the more scooped marshall-like bb preamp. the bb is pretty versatile, but it shines when driven past the clean boost stage. the ac is more subtle and smooth in this capacity and the rc depends mostly on your amps tone for it's voice.

i hope this helps, and sorry for the broad strokes. unfortunately, every user, with different guitars, styles, pickups will have different experiences.

peace - jv

8. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i run all my amps pretty clean. at times a touch of hair, but yes you could say clean. the gain is more than enough on the BB no doubt aboot it! one negative thing for me that some one else might dig is that above 1 on the gain, it get's a little fuzzy. cool for some, but me no likey..........so
    the gain on the pedal stays noonish with great full, fat warm results!

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey guys,

Forgive me here for asking this..lol, but could you explain what you mean by "over Marshall my Marshall"?
    I am awaiting an answer for the trade today and I better get the facts before it goes down.
    Does that mean it would be a bad thing?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mass

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

wow.

I'm not really looking for a TS- 808 sound.
    Funny it mentions the OCD as having the same values, because that was my next move.
    Maybe i'll just keep my Jeckyll & Hyde....
    Confusing but thank you for trying to help out like this.
    Let me ask you this.............
    If you played alot of Hendrix, and you had a plexi, had the strat and a couple of good fuzzes, what OD/Distortion unit would you put after the fuzzes?
    Like I said, the J&H is passable, but I know I can make it sound better.
    I was hoping the BB or the OCD would be the answer, but according to that thread, both the BB and the OCD have a similiar circut in the Jeckyll side of my J&H.
    Thanks,
    Mass

11. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I am a big Fan of the Mentatone products, KOB and the Redsnapper are great pedals to try out. I have had good luck with them with S/C and H/B's

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

Common consensus is that the BB is a Marshall-in-a-box type of pedal, I don't believe that myself.
    It is a very smooth O/D with a little clean signal blended in, so it's good for pushing an amp and doesn't mush out on the neck pup.

I'd have no problem running one into a Marshall.

I had both the RC and BB, the RC is much more transparent as a clean boost, I ran the RC almost clean to add a little grit, the BB with full gain for O/D sounds (the gain range is similar to a TS) and I'd boost the BB with the RC for smooth lead tones.
    The RC and BB is a great combination.

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i guess the Gypsy Fuzz GAS has died down then? :D

14. drolling

drolling Member

Big JH fan here, sitting in a tangle of "curly" lead cords, germanium, silicon AND hybrid fuzzes (some of which are cooling off in my 'fridge today!) and I've taken a few shots at recreating the tone of a dimed Marshall at clock-radio volume w/varying degrees of success.

BB's a great pedal (all the Xotic stuff's good) but have you considered an power soak like the THD HotPlate, Weber MASS (you might suit that one) or even the Marshall Power Brake?

You won't get that nice natural speaker compression at whisper levels, but an attenuator's one way to get your power tubes cookin w/o the dBs.

15. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

all i can say is the BB does not sound like a tube screamer at all! there is not a loss of bottom end,
    it is not as compressed, has a lot more gain, and the mids don't make you puke, also much more
    flexible in terms of eq adjustment. oh well.......... circuit similar to a ts? maybe so, but this has british written all over it.

16. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Haha Stevie,

The Gypsy hunt will never end!!!! But there is no one with a Gypsy is knocking on the door yet.
    I have a possible trade for an Xotic BB Booster and maybe an OCD.
    Is the BB Booster considered a step above the J&H? I know they perform differently, I am just speaking tone quality.
    .....looking for something to OD my Fuzz.
    I might miss the dist. the J&H gives though, and I don't know how much Dist. the BB Booster and the OCD have on tap.
    Take care,
    Mass

17. JPenn

JPenn Member

There is a world of difference in the sound of an OCD and a TS. I was just reading an old post on this board yesterday where Paul C was explaining how lots of pedals maybe based on a TS circuit, but with tweaks and part swaps they sound nothing like a TS.

18. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'll have to check out the BB, cuz the DD seems to really work for me live. I try other pedals, but keep coming back to the Direct Drive. I have a Maxon SD9 and a Fulltone OCD and both of those can get too thick when the volume gets cranked. The Barber cuts thru nicely.

19. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

let me know what you think! the other guitarist in my band and i A/B'd the DD, and the BB, we both
    agreed in our findings, very similar in voicing, BB a bit fatter less mids, more open. we also felt that
    although with higher gain the DD was more compressed, it held together without getting fuzzy in
    other words. anyway, i gave the DD to him kept the BB, and we are both happy! i went to play a new
    DD to see if my ears served me well, mine was the very first version no trimmers etc, just push/pull pot. the new one i did not like, it was too bright at the same settings i used on my old one. same amp, guitar and everything. did not dig the small fry either. oh well, i love my LTD!

20. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have heard that the OCD does excell at lower volumes, and get thicker as the volume goes up..
    Anyway it seems the BB Booster would still be a cut above the Jeckyll & Hyde as a tonal tool for the pedalboard palette.
    No?
    Take care,
    Mass