xotic rc boost v. eternity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lcjc800, Feb 11, 2006.

1. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Can anyone give feedback on the sonic differences between these 2. Are they that different or is one just more mysterious than the other. I've got a rc on loan on my board, but before i commit I'd like to now the advantages or attributes of each by those who have used both and chosen for themselves.

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Comparing the RC to the eternity is comparing apples and oranges. The RC is a clean boost and the eternity is an OD. What you want is a comparison between the "AC" booster OD and the eternity right?.

Carry on. I have neither if these pedals so I can't comment.

3. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

um I have an eternity and my buddy has an AC booster. add us together, divide by two and square the results. I think they're a draw, only cause my friend has a badass goatee that I could never grow.

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

E has more gain, smoother, can be more compressed at max gain. Doesn't have as much bass as the AC, but sounds thicker in the mids. I'd take the Eternity.

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Well lets see... I think I wrote rc boost,yup thats it, rc. AC isn't mentioned at all. Both pedals (rc+ E) are advertised as clean boost with gain controls, sez that on their respective site's. So something tells me that their circle of influence and circle of intent overlap to some degree. Maybe more than might be obvious. So yeah I'd still like to hear from those who may have actually tried them both and are able to interject. Regardless of facial hair.

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

They may overlap slightly but are very different. As mentioned the RC is basically a clean boost with EQ. Very Low gain fairly transparent. The Eternity is capable of clean boost but I would imagine most players use the medium to higher gain settings.

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

As I stated in my original post, I have a rc (borrowed) on my board now. No, it doesn't have allot of gain and it is fairly transparent. But it does compress the signal, as I would compare to a hard driven tube rectified amp,with my maz 18. That being said, if there is someone who can tell me that they've tried both under similar trials, same rig, same guitar, would be helpful. the Eternity clips on lovepedals site, primarily the one by Josh Smith has this same character that I mentioned. That would be the information I seek. How they size up at this level of performance.:horse

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Despite any marketing you might read, in my opinion the Eternity is primarily an overdrive, with some limited clean boost capabilities. The RC is a clean boost that can barely hint at a touch of breakup, though has some very nice EQ capabilities. They are very different pedals.

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Then you have heard them both through similar circumstances?

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

had them both on my board 2 weeks ago. just sold both. high volumes, low volumes, jamming with friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I also owned them both at the same time, on the same board, running into the same amp.
    NOTHING alike at all, which is why you're getting responses that may seem confusing to you, esp. after reading marketing script that can be a little misleading.

EQ:
    RC = Neutral / E = big mid hump, bass cut (more noticable on a bassy amp)

Compression:
    RC = Pretty open / E = Very compressed and sustaining. Singing.

Gain / OD:
    RC = Gritty, hairy, edgy / E = Smooth, Dynamic, the antithesis of fizzy

Boost:
    RC = Uncolored, even boost / E = Mid/Treble boost depending on how you set it... had a lot of very cool character stacking it before other pedals; changed them in usually a good and very interesting way. The RC 'just' gave you more of what you loved.

I think people are bringing up the AC vs. E thing because they are much much closer than the RC is with the E. The RC and E are far from alike.

-Ben

12. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Well then, that answers my question. Thanks. I really like the sound the rc creates, and I haven't had the opportunity to play an Eternity, it's not like they'ye falling off trees arround here. Before I make a purchase I would jump at the chance to try one. But that doesn't seem likely. Anybody in the Western New York/Southern Ontario area have one that I can listen to. I have read that the older china marked units were prefered by the builder and may not be all the same, as the KLON has been stated to be.

13. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I had an AC for a bit. I played it through a CARR rambler in the store and loved it. Then brought it home and pluged it in and was diappointed at how it sounded through my stuff. Thanks

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

What do you mean re: Klon?

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Here are some Eternity clips
    http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/Etern4.mp3
    http://lovepedal.com/wideopen.mp3
    http://lovepedal.com/joshSmitheternity.mov

Here are some RC/AC Booster clips
    http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/allenHinds2/index.html
    http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/allenHinds/index.html
    http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/joshSmith/index.html

You can clearly see why I equate the AC booster with the eternity. Both of them are dedicated OD's. The RC booster is a clean boost with the ability to add some grit (it seems MUCH less than a typical TS style OD) via the gain knob. With the gain knob down its a true full frequency clean boost.

IME single function OD's cannot be true clean boosts - more like a dirty boost. They always run the signal through the clipping section which does distort the signal however mildly and furthermore the signal is subject to the inherent tonality of the OD pedal. For example turn the TS9 gain to min and boost the volume and its clean-ish but still has the infamous TS EQ curve. Anyway I hope the clips help in your comparison.

16. amc

amc Member

It doesn't need to be a contest
    Get them both.
    RC + Eternity compliment each other

17. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I'd had heard that Sean at lovepedal painted the best sounding , to his ear ,eternity's with the Chinese graphic. And Bill F, at KLON states that all centaurs are created equal regardless of color or graphic.

18. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

If it were just that easy(search for a post of my board and help me plan the addition):confused:

19. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Thank You all for your time and input. It will make the search easier.

20. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I got a RC 3 weeks ago, such a great pedal. I lov eit as it allwos me to add lots of low end, and it takes other pedals so well. Turn the gain halfway up and kick in another od and it sounds great. A very versatile pedal for sure.