Xotic RC Booster and BB preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LavaMan, Apr 15, 2008.

1. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Can I just say I have been using these now as a combination with my Egnater Mod50 and I am really starting to like them a lot - more so than when I used them with a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr....

I like leaving the RC on most of the time dialed back on gain and volume and then use the BB premamp for soloing - sounds just amazing over the BMAN clean module I am using....

I know there have been a lot of threads on these but I am just sayin'...

These pedals:

:band:RoCkIn

2. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan as well!!

3. Kelly

Kelly Member

My pedalboard consists of a RC Booster and a Choralflange. What else do ya need???

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've been through tons of od's, and still own the RC and BB. AC went bye, bye...can't win them all.

5. future2future

future2future Member

Had both, sold the BB, thought it was great in the beginning, but it just wasn't right for me. The RC is an alltime favourite!

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I didn't care for the AC at all. It just wasn't right for me, my gear or both.

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've had all three. I kept the RC and AC. BB didn't sound right to my ears.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Depends on the application.

I haven't tried any other Clean Boosts excpet the BBE Sonic Stomp if you want to call it that, but the RC is just awesome.

The AC didn't give me anything different/better than my amp can cop and I already have a Timmy, Silver LTD and Silver Kiss MkII which all sound better than the AC.

I've had all the Barber LTD's, Menatone RS, BC, and even the G2D Creamtone and opted to keep the BB over all those for my Strat Blues Tone, it's just highly versatile (if everything else in your rig is tops). I just can't imagine what you guys are hearing (those who prefer the AC and not the BB).

9. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

MOD 50 +Xotic =:drool

10. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I have both of those as well, I love stacking my BB on top of my fulldrive for a solo tone.

11. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I've always liked the BB and nearly got an RC. Now I have a BB+ so almost have both in the one pedal now!

12. aksman

aksman Member

+100

I think the always-on RC Booster is awesome, and running the BB Preamp into anything for solos it where it's at. I run BB -> OCD v1 -> other dist/fuzz-> RC always on!

13. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Had the BB, liked it at first, sold it after 2 weeks.

Too much gain, a little dark (removes some of the sparkle), too "clean" and 80's sounding for me. Lacks midrange and life for me.

It's great quality however.

14. gearboy

gearboy Member

+1 there

15. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

The xotics always sound a little too polite to my ears.

Having said that, they are some of the few pedals that sound really great through a very clean amp. Great quality.

They just sound more "studio guy" to me that "rock band."

Pete Thorn still likes his BB though. And he certainly rocks.

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

I luv me some BB Preamp. My blues tone is actually my Klon, but when I want to goose the gain and harmonics, I push the Klon with the BB preamp, and it has been a tonal epiphany for me!!! From the moment I discovered this combination, these two pedals have been fused together on my board! Just perfect!

17. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have the BB+ and I love it! I feel like I could gig with just that pedal alone and make a night of it. I want to get an RC Booster as well for some other applications.

18. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I've had an RC and a BB. The Timmy made me sell the RC and the Mosferatu made me sell the BB. They were great pedals but I prefered the others.

19. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I still have both. At one time I had all three Xotic single channel gain pedals, but the Timmy replaced the AC. The Timmy just wasn't as fizzy as the AC. Now the Mosferatu has replaced the BB, but it's good enough to keep as a backup. I expiriemented with using another Timmy to replace the RC, but the RC won out.

20. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

i got the RC, then the AC then the BB, couldnt get the AC to sound like i though it should.... but the rc and the BB stayed loved them can use them with all my amps!!!...