Xotic RC Booster - ticking noise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bmetelits, Apr 29, 2008.

1. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I just bought a used Xotic RC Booster that looks like new inside and out. After putting a new Energizer 9v in the pedal, I noticed that the unit generates a ticking sound through my amp. I was playing in my spare bedroom office with the ceiling fan turned Off. I've never heard a similar pulsing/ticking sound through my equipment before. Even 6 years ago using a Zvex SHO there was no extra noise. Is this noise common for the Xotic pedals?

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Is it the only pedal in your signal chain? Ticking noises are usually characteristic of delays.

3. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Make sure your cell phone isn't anywhere near it, especially bluetooth enabled ones.

4. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

There were no cell phones within 20 feet. My signal chain was guitar to Mesa V-1 Bottle Rocket to Xotic RC Booster to Alessandro Working Dog amp. The cables are brand new, oxygen free, single conductor cables with Neutrik plugs. The Bottle Rocket generates a mild white noise when engaged.

5. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've never heard of a clean boost having a ticking sound....thats usually the domain of time based units. Delay, chorus, etc.

6. danel59

danel59 Member

Have you tried going straight into your amp with your guitar? I do question that the ticking is being caused by the RC. I would start by eliminating all cables except the one from guitar to amp and then systematically start adding the pedals back in, one at a time.

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I highly doubt the RC would be making the noise - unless there is a 'making/breaking' contact somewhere inside, there is nothing in there to produce a tick by itself.

8. glman

glman Member

is there any electric fence anywhere near where you are - even 100 meters away can cause a steady ticking noise.
    i live in a secure cluster complex with an electric fence 60 + meters away and if I turn my amps up full i can hear a ticking - this happens with all my amps.

9. steveb

steveb Member

Are you wearing a wristwatch? I sometimes hear mine ticking through my setup depending on gain & volume.

10. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I have been playing directly into the amp at home, and there has never been any noise other than a little hum from my single coils.

The ticking would stop by turning off the the RC Booster. I'll try it again tonight without the Mesa Bottle Rocket.

11. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Try it again tonight, without the guitar plugged in. rc>cable>amp

12. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

I used to get randon metallic clink noises when it was strat>RC Boost> LSS

13. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I tried the RC again tonight, but this time the RC was the only pedal between the guitar and amp. The ticking noise was not present. Maybe the ticking sound came from the Mesa Bottle Rocket. Thanks for all your responses.