Xotic RC booster V2 - WOW!

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
just got this one in as a very low gain "just breaking up" pedal. WOW! great EQ, dual channel/two levels of gain, and a cool mirror chrome finish! Works as a clean boost, a "just breaking up" tone, and even a ligh overdrive! Witht eh EQ it can be as transparent as you want, or you can dial in mid hump, treble boost, bass bost, and mid scoop! I'm extremely impressed with this pedal!

scatto

just got this one in as a very low gain "just breaking up" pedal. WOW! great EQ, dual channel/two levels of gain, and a cool mirror chrome finish! Works as a clean boost, a "just breaking up" tone, and even a ligh overdrive! Witht eh EQ it can be as transparent as you want, or you can dial in mid hump, treble boost, bass bost, and mid scoop! I'm extremely impressed with this pedal!
I've been using it for a few months now and prior to that the original RC. They're both fantasic pedals. I run it first and often use relatively clean as an always on, similar to an EP boost. It can definetly bring an anemic amp alive.

teleluvver

I've been using it for a few months now and prior to that the original RC. They're both fantasic pedals. I run it first and often use relatively clean as an always on, similar to an EP boost. It can definetly bring an anemic amp alive.
How does it compare to the original RC Boost?

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Does it still have a stiff feel?

I never played the first version, but this one doesn't feel stiff to me - its very touch dynamic. Dialed in for a light break up, I can get it to sound clean just by using a light touch with my fingers, then dig in hard with my pick and get some grit.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I found the original stiff feeling too. I tried out the SH version a few months ago - sounded great and had a better feel than I remember, but I didn't keep it. The second gain level does not have an independent volume, and the boost can be considerable, limiting the utility. Also, those footswitches are a little too close together for my 10 1/2's on a dark stage. All in all, I thought it was a great sounding pedal, but didnt see it as all that workable for gigs.

jimboslow

Silver Supporting Member
just got one to use in front of my rockett dude pedal. with the 2 gain switches there are some great options. I think I'll keep channel 1 with a little gain as an always on pedal then stack it with the dude, which sounds great with stage 1 and/or 2. gain 2 adds some nice warm mids. fantastic pedal.

Unadan

I have the EP booster which I really love. Redundant to also have this or what do you think?

bastian

Can the eq of the rc not approximate the ep... or is there more to it than that?

Sean Meredith-Jones
www.seanmeredithjones.com
Not really. The EP has a lowmid hump (that I strongly dislike btw). You can dial in/out bass and treble on the RC, but you cant tailor a specific mid frequency response. I'd prefer the RC over the EP but it is a matter of taste (and rig dependent).

Btw... threads like this read differently after the shilling-topic...

smj

Not really. The EP has a lowmid hump (that I strongly dislike btw). You can dial in/out bass and treble on the RC, but you cant tailor a specific mid frequency response. I'd prefer the RC over the EP but it is a matter of taste (and rig dependent).

Btw... threads like this read differently after the shilling-topic...

Thanks! Thought I read somewhere that the rc uses a baxandall circuit... does that not mean there's some interaction in the mids or possibly just upper mids?

Sean Meredith-Jones

bastian

Thanks! Thought I read somewhere that the rc uses a baxandall circuit... does that not mean there's some interaction in the mids or possibly just upper mids?

Sean Meredith-Jones
Even with a 10-band (or more) EQ its rather unlikely to be able to exactly copy the frequency foot print. You'd need a parametric or just the right frequency band. Ok, depends how close you want to get. But I'd say the RC and EP are different enough / dont have much overlap. From memory the EP sounded narrower while the RC had a wider, more transparent response overall.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
How much overdrive does the first channel have? Is it actually a *clean* boost, or does the gain knob add some clipping from the pedal? Not looking for anything even close to high gain, but a touch of breakup from the pedal can help for extremely low volume gigs.

Artb

How much overdrive does the first channel have? Is it actually a *clean* boost, or does the gain knob add some clipping from the pedal? Not looking for anything even close to high gain, but a touch of breakup from the pedal can help for extremely low volume gigs.
You'd like this, then. I use mine to simulate a cranked up Fender. Just adds that little bit of grit and chime to the clean tone. Sounds amazing with my Strat and Tele.

Phosphenetre

People saying the RC feels stiff, can you elaborate? I'm considering the RC V2 as my next clean/dirty boost to push my overdrive and distortion pedals.

Banditt

just got one to use in front of my rockett dude pedal. with the 2 gain switches there are some great options. I think I'll keep channel 1 with a little gain as an always on pedal then stack it with the dude, which sounds great with stage 1 and/or 2. gain 2 adds some nice warm mids. fantastic pedal.
This is my "go to" set-up as well.....love the combo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom