Xotic Voltage Doubler to run an 18 Volt pedal?

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought a pedal requiring 18 volts and my Voodoo power supply doesn’t support 18 (I know I can double a pair of 9’s but don’t have the room). Can I use my Xotic Voltage Doubler? One might say just try it and see :dunno , but I don’t have a dedicated 18 volt adapter to compare it.

Pedal manufacturer said he’s never tried but, but thought it may introduce unwanted noise.

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
That's what's it's designed for, no? ‍♂️
I think it was designed by Xotic to add more headroom to their pedals. Was also told that the Doubler uses “a surge pump switching dc converter,” and I’m not sure the impact of that. I guess the question is can I use this Xotic Doubler in a manner similar to any other 18v power source :dunno

I use a few Xotic doublers with pedals that have the option of 18V and they work great. Definitely give them extra headroom. However, I’ve never used with a pedal that “requires” 18V. I assume they’d work the same but… can’t say for sure.

BroomH

Just bought a pedal requiring 18 volts and my Voodoo power supply doesn’t support 18 (I know I can double a pair of 9’s but don’t have the room). Can I use my Xotic Voltage Doubler? One might say just try it and see :dunno , but I don’t have a dedicated 18 volt adapter to compare it.

Pedal manufacturer said he’s never tried but, but thought it may introduce unwanted noise.

Yes, you can. The only thing to be aware is the current draw from your pedal. The Xotic can output 80ma (which is a lot for a device this type).

Reactions: YYZ
The 1Spot can output 100 mA. But how does this work anyway? If it doubles the voltage shouldn't it always output half of the current?

Blackmoreguitar

Silver Supporting Member
The 1Spot can output 100 mA. But how does this work anyway? If it doubles the voltage shouldn't it always output half of the current?

I think that's correct, so as long as the power supply outlet is capable of supplying 200mA then the 1spot will be able to supply up to 100mA.

Reactions: YYZ

Ilsenhab

Works great with my Xotic EP booster. Bigger and shinier, at least 20-25% 'better' to my ears at that voltage :)

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
So, it sounds like the Xotic Voltage Doubler should do fine with a 18V DC centre negative power supply requirements (25ma current draw) pedal?:dunno

Trending Topics

Top Bottom