Xotic wah? (Am I late to the party?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jdawgy, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

The demos sound great but am I late to the party?

How would it compare to the Teese RMC 3 (as the Xotic has similar parameters)?

Thanks!!! :)

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Yeah, is this something I should dump my CAE wah for?

3. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I am in the midst of a major 'wah shoot out.' I have bought like 6 wah's and i'm going to keep just one. So far I've got in my house:

- Xotic Wah
    - RMC 5
    - Area 51
    - Black Cat Mona Vintage Standard
    - Fulltone Clyde Delux
    - RMC10
    - RMC4 is on the way

Right now, the Xotic wah is the winner. Couple quick comments:

* RMC5: Very nice and unique wah sound. Much more mid range (but in a very pleasing way) and less treble top end, which I frequently prefer. Really like the feel of this wah. BUT, when I use the treble cut dipswitch on the xotic and play with the Q, I can get Xotic to sound almost exactly the same - and of course xotic can do tones RMC5 can't

* Black Cat Mona: I don't know if this was a lemon or what, but the buffer wasn't effective. I was getting major squeal when using this with fuzz.

* RMC10: I feel like this wah had a very fast 'sweep range' if that is the right term. It when to the full treble 'toe down' tone very abruptly. Didn't like the feel of it. But for some that might be a benefit.

* Area 51: Really nice tone. Arguably tied for best with Xotic and Fulltone. However the sweep range, i.e. distance the pedal actually travels, is the smallest of all of them. I like having the wider distance. Also, the one I got didn't have any controls or adjustments, which I guess some models have. So this has way less tweakability than others. Now, I don't want or need huge tweakability (Wilson wah's with a million options doesn't appeal too much to me). But this one had none.

* Fulltone Clyde Deluxe: Close to tied with Xotic. Really nice, usable sweep range, very pleasing tone, nice option set - can get a nice range of tones but not too many options. Would definitely recommend.

* RMC4 coming soon.

But yeah, for me right now I think the Xotic is the winner. Great sweep range, great tones, great feature set that can nail a nice variety of tones, nice size (not that that was a big deal for me as I don't put my wah's on pedal board), has a very 'high quality build' feel ... just seems like a total winner to me. I do wish the treble dip switch was adjustable from external, cause I feel like that is one I'll want to use a lot. But that is my only gripe.

For looking to buy their first high end wah, I'd recommend Xotic if you are a tweaker, or Fulltone Clyde if you only want a little. If you like no tweaking, I'd get some RMC's and see which one you like best (cause they do sound very different).

My2cents!

NamaEnsou likes this.
  4. petty1818

petty1818 Member

This is my question as well. I love the CAE wah, I just wish it was a bit higher quality in terms of construction. Mine is acting a bit weird lately as well. Whenever I click between the red and yellow setting or engage the boost, I get a scratchy/crackle sound through my amp.

5. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe Member

I spent a few hours at Chicago Music Exchange with the Fulltone, CAE, and Xotic. Went home with the Xotic and I'm a very happy wah user now. I love the versatility and there's not a bad sound in it.

6. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

Great descriptions!!!

I have an old thomas organ wah... It's just time for it to go...

Can the xotic wah do thomas organ tones?

Also what about a gut shot... Does it have the "stack of dimes" in it?

Thanks!!!

7. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

Mine doesn't work properly when it's first in chain, sounds like it's broken both with fuzz and distortion. Sounds fine after them.
    I wonder what experience other owners have.

guitarzdude likes this.
  8. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

huh ... yeah i'm using it right now and have tried it in front of an analogman sun face nkt germanium, and solidgoldfx 6 was 9 bc183, and bearfoot pink purple ... no problems with any of them

maybe you got a lemon? i've had big problems with my black cat mona wah, and i've never heard of problems here, so i'm guessing i got a bad buffer or something

9. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Ordered one yesterday and it should be here on Monday. Pretty excited to see if it can stand up to the best of the wahs I've had around (Castledine Standard and Teese RMC3 are still the best I've had), as the clips I've heard all sound great.

10. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

Thanks for that awesome overview gavinashun, that was quite helpful. I'm actually currently looking for a wah for my nano board. I've got a Clyde Deluxe on my big board but I want another wah so I don't have to take it off the board and remove the velcro plate every time I want to use it.

I've got a 70's TO stack of dimes wah coming my way next week, though I'm very much considering an Xotic if that doesn't work out well (or even if it does haha). I've just got a few questions for you:

Do you feel like there's a lot of overlap between the Fulltone and the Xotic?

With the soft switch on the Xotic, do you find yourself ever accidentally turning it off mid-wah by accidentally pushing down too much?

How does the physical sweep range of the Xotic compare to the Fulltone? I know the Clyde's got a pretty large range, but since it seems like the Xotic is a custom shell, I figured maybe they engineered it to get the maximum range possible.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  11. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

I tried mine with an EQD Hoof Reaper and Lovepedal Purple Plexi (Brown Sound Mod). If I put the wah in front of either the sweep is uneven and broken up, there's no sweep really and some unpleasant noises in the heel down position. If I go dirt pedal into the wah it works fine. Don't know whether that's a sign that I got a lemon and should ask for a replacement. Do you have other pedals with a buffer in the chain?

12. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Picked one up Friday and gigged with I that night. I really like the way it sounds. Great tone, gotta play with the throw and Q to get it where I want, but with the parameters sitting right there it's just a matter of time.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've used mine I front of several gain pedals and it's worked flawlessly with all of them. It's currently on the board with a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver, Jetter V3 Jetdrive, an Ethos and a Diamond Counterpoint (the last two buffered) and I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever.

Only thing I'm aware of is perhaps a very slight volume drop when it's engaged? It isn't problematic, but if it had a volume control I'd turn it up a touch.

14. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Check inside.

15. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Thinking about trying one of these. Anyone know how they sound after gain?

16. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Yeah, I figured there was a trimmer in there, just been too lazy to play with it.

17. rck

rck Supporting Member

any more user reviews of this?

more specifically how wide is the sweep compared to the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe.

18. iggs

iggs Member

I feel mine has a wider sweep, my Clyde Deluxe (newer model but without the extra buffer boost) does have a bit of an abrupt change in the sweep, like a sharp knee in the curve while the Xotic feels smoother.

Xotic is a touch quieter as far as noise is concerned and seems to cut better and sound more articulate with a high gain sound ... and that's at all default settings, I haven't even touched any of the trimmers, jumpers or the outside EQ.

19. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I'd always wanted to like Wah, but ended up selling every Wah I got. At best, it seemed they were a crutch for sloppy fretwork.

The Xotic was the exception, and earned a permanent place on my board. It is so articulate, precise, and tweakable it feels like a natural extension of my instrument, rather than a gimmick or veil. I think it plays and sounds exactly like I always hoped/imagined Wah pedals would.

Anyway, I love mine. YMMV

20. rck

rck Supporting Member

Thanks gents, that was exactly what I needed to know! I'll check back in and report my opinion after using one for a bit.