xotic x-blender question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Feb 28, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

This unit has treble and bass controls on it - would it be possible to use this unit as an eq if nothing was in the loop?

Thanks

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

well, the EQ only affects the loop signal. I guess you could plug a patch cable from the send to return if you wanted it. Also, the EQ and volume only affect the loop when in blend mode, not TB mode.

I need to double check for sure, but i'm 90% positive on this.

very useful box. what are your plans for it?

joe

3. jm4

jm4 Member

JamonGrande is right. A patch cable from the send to return and the blend knob set all the way to wet could work, but it wouldn't make much sense to use an X-blender like that. The RC Booster would be better suited for EQ. They're actually very similar pedals. The X-blender has the bass and treble knobs and a 6db boost switch, but the boost only works when you're blending. The RC has bass/treble and an adjustable boost. Bottom line is the X-blender isn't much more than an expensive paperweight if you're not going to use the effects loop. That said, the X-blender is an awesome pedal. It really improves the sound of effects, and the true bypass is a godsend when you're not using effects and you've got a couple noisy pedals in the loop.

4. ptown65

ptown65 Member

I really like my X-Blender. I run my Verbzilla through it and it is quite nice to dial in a little more verb with my foot when needed on the fly. I hooked up my MPX-1 to it the other day and the ability to blend it in and still have the original signal fully in tact is awesome. Great box!!!

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks for the insight guys - was going to use it in a serial loop to do some processing on delay tones only - still seems a bit like overkill.

6. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

right on, I don't think it's overkill though. It really is a great "utility" pedal for a variety of effects, and in a pinch can be used as a booster.

First, I used it to blend in and eq a whammy-4 (the upper octave settings were too harsh-lower the treble, and the lower octaves were too quiet-boost the bass). It also allowed me to adjust the overall balance of the pitch shifts, and use the non-harmony settings as harmonies. Also, being able to adjust the balance when running into an octave fuzz yielded some very interesting tones (when actively adjusting the blend while playing).

Then I used it to blend in a compressor (Way Huge) to get a more natural attack, but with a ridiculous sustain tail.

Now I use it with a laptop inline, allowing me to get crazier VST/MAX based effects while maintaining the integrity of my dry tone. I never turn the blended loop off, instead going to 100% (more like 99% honestly) dry and it works as a nice buffer at the end of my signal chain

Very useful and great sounding. I'll probably use it for other things in the future as well

joe

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks Joe, I'm actually going to pick one up, just to see if it makes a big difference in my rig.

I plan to run a dd-2 into a modfactor to get chorus on the delays only, and use the x-blender to blend it into the serial loop of my amp. With the treble and bass controls, I should have total control over the tone of the repeats. :)