1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Xotic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Coach, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Can someone give me a run-down of the different Xotic Boost Pedals (AC,RC,BB) I'm looking into a new boost pedal and these seem promising.

2. raz

raz Member

Short answer:

RC does clean boost to slight grit with tone shaping controls.

AC does clean boost to Tube Screamer-ish levels with tone controls

BB Preamp will do clean boost to full-on compressed distortion.

As you go up the scale, the range of clean boost before distortion narrows. RC has a broad range of clean boost, BB's is pretty narrow.

The RC and the BB seem to get the consensus as the picks of the litter. Folks seem to run really hot and cold about the AC.

I use the RC and the BB, and love 'em both. The RC, especially, because it works great with any amp.

3. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Sweet thanks a lot, RC it is.

4. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I have an Eternity and an AC, and semm to play the AC most of the time
    I love that TS tone the gives me.
    Again,is a very subjective issue. Is it?

5. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I've had an RC Boost for a year or so, and it is probably the most useful boost/drive type pedal I've owned. Very transparent, even when set to add some grit. The bass/treble controls are very useful. Just got an AC Boost about a week ago, and I like it. (That said, I don't like having to use pedals at all. Getting the distortion/drive entirely from the amp is a better way to go, IMHO, but volume limitations make that unrealistic for me).

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I had a AC Booster and found it quite pleasing intially but for some reason it always disappeared in a band mix. After a while I found that it just didn't have that intangible "special" something.

I think the BB is a great pedal and holds it's own with a bunch of things out there aiming at that style of overdrive, it definitely has a character to it.

The RC Booster on the other hand I absolutely love. I like how it can be set up flat/transparent but by edging the gain up and tweaking the EQ some grit and personality can be conjured up as well.

I think as far as Xotic goes I think the RC is their piece de resistance

7. jeak

jeak Member

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I like the RC and AC a lot. I found the BB didn't really sit in the mix well for me. Nice pedal, just not my bag. Sorta the polar opposite of the AC IMO.

9. modoc

modoc Guest

Ditto here...RC is awesome, i didn't quite get the BB to sit. Theres a new clip with Scott Henderson up on Prosound's website that proves it must be me though!!