XR18 As a Recording Interface

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kzoolou, Dec 3, 2017.

1. kzoolou

kzoolou Member

Is anybody using their XR18 for multitrack, full band recording? If so, how is the quality compared to lower end single-purpose interfaces? I'd like to ask the same question about mixers like the QU16 as well.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Used to record 12-14 simultaneous tracks into my MacBook Air. Sounded great. From my perspective, the main drawback of using the XR18 as an interface is that it's limited to 48KHz.

3. Giga

Giga Member

I’ve used my Qu-SB as a recording interface and that went very well. I especially like the ease of the monitoring for the artists involved.

The A&H is connected to the computer via usb. Before, I used 2 Presonus Firewire projects coupled together for 16 channels and to my ears it seems the Qu is even clearer sounding than those 2... YMMV

Giga

4. okie

okie Supporting Member

We use a QU-SB to record jams, 9 tracks for drums, 3 for vocals, 2 guitars, bass, keys. We record in a fairly large treated room with partitions and get very good results. QU-SB usb out to a mac running logic or PC to Cubase, we also simultaneously record all 16 tracks to a connected usb hard drive.

What's nice about the QU-SB is that you do not need a computer to record multi-tracks, a usb hard drive or compatible usb stick connected to it will record all 16 tracks. Import tracks later in your favorite daw and you're in business.

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I track the audio of most shows with our XR18. Sound is fine, no glitching, no dropouts.

6. sants

sants Supporting Member

Check out the Soundcraft Ui24. I’ve used them all and this by far my favorite in terms of sound and usability. It also records 20 tracks right to usb drive and can directly interface a computer.

The recording quality is as good or better than my larger Soundcraft Si Impact.

7. denmalley

denmalley Supporting Member

I've recorded dozens of shows with the XR18 paired with a room mic (zoom recorder or such) so that you can hear the crowd/room.

I don't mess around with a DAW setup, but rather use a simple program someone wrote called mixtools to just capture the signal right at the preamp stage. It creates individual wav files named by date and time and I just drop those into my DAW along with the zoom recording. I've gotten some great results with it.

Here's a link to download mixtools
    https://www.varranger.com/xr/MixToolsv2.zip

Very simple and reliable piece of software. In fact I once did a party gig and we all got a little rowdy (read drunk etc) and I ended up not closing the session at the end of the night. This was still chugging along in the morning!

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

As an XR18 owner, I'm intrigued by the UI24R as it doesn't need an app, providing a degree of future-proofing since you're not dependent on the manufacturer to develop a control app for the device. As it is, I question whether I still need the XR18 (no longer working with the band I bought it to use) so doubling down on a more capable mixer seems like a silly expenditure.

sants likes this.
  9. sants

sants Supporting Member

The Ui24 is a very powerful piece of equipment. The xr18 is still awesome but the Ui24 is really impressive.

10. bob-i

bob-i Member

I connect a laptop to the USB and record every show. I'd say it's acceptable but not fantastic. I feel that I get a cleaner mix from 2 Zoom R16s linked together but it's a pain to setup. For the zooms I need to split all mics and feeds then mix both the live sound and recording. With the XR18 I just plug in the USB and record.

FYI, I love the XR18, I'm never going back to analog mixers.

11. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

A little late to this, but I've got an XR18 for our practice space and I record every rehearsal using my iPad (Cubasis App) - we all go direct, so the set-up is pretty simple and easy and it sounds fantastic.

Full disclosure - I'm not a pro, so what sounds good to me may not meet the expectations of more demanding ears :)

12. mollydyer

mollydyer Supporting Member

Also late to the show here, but *former* X18 user here. Used it as my band's monitor mixer AND my studio interface. Limited to 48khz (don't care). Played well with Protools, and Logic. Have since bumped up to an X32 and I'm still doing this, although I need to have a look at why the protools aggregate seems to not 'refresh' when I select the X32. It never did this with the X18.

The X18 is a FANTASTIC unit.