• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Xr18 cable strain relief ideas?

tshall

I'm organizing my studio/office and was reminded of an issue that I've been meaning to ask the collective. I usually just set my xr18 on a small table and run cables from it around the room as needed. Occasionally someone will step on a cable or tug on the wrong cable in a way that puts pressure on the xlr connector, and I get worried about the durability of the connections inside the mixer. No problems yet, but does anyone have any tips or ideas for strain relief for these little lunchbox mixers? I've had pcb mounted jacks go bad in amps before, and I'd like to keep this little guy working as long as possible.

The only idea I've used is to tape all the cables down with gaffer tape near the mixer, leaving some slack, which is fine for shows but that's ugly in the rehearsal room and makes it hard to make changes/ reroute. The corner near the mixer gets to be a rats nest of cables pretty fast.

Unnecessary

Snake, or longer cables. You're asking for trouble if you have cables that can't just drop straight down from the table then run the floor to their source.

tshall

Hesitant to put it on the floor because I have kids who also use the room. Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm shopping for small stage box snakes. I like the idea of the small dsub one from audiopile - just wish it had a couple of returns.

Echophilia

Silver Supporting Member
YEP!!

That's all I have ever done with it. That was why it was made like a stage box. Love it!!
I use on the floor also-Works great from floor, no problems So far-Easy to avoid when walking around it, since the cables are down on the floor-Plus If someone trips the mixer it has nowhere to fall its already on the floor......

mattball826

Hesitant to put it on the floor because I have kids who also use the room. Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm shopping for small stage box snakes. I like the idea of the small dsub one from audiopile - just wish it had a couple of returns.
On the floor is safer than on a desk even for kids. Just cover it with a box. It's so small and easy to keep from any kids. At shows mine stays on the floor. We once had it up on a table, someone tugged and aux line and it fell to the ground. It's still worked fine, but since then it's on the floor.

I have a bassist/kb player that insists anything longer than 20' cable messes with his sound. So the mixer box can't be too far from him. Funny, because my runs are using 30' or 50' cables and my sound is fine lol. Diva Bassist. lol

Trending Topics

Top Bottom