X's AX8 Thread O Fun.....\m/

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by X-Mann, Apr 28, 2016.

1. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hey, hey amp modeling dudes.....& well....yea.....more dudes......:(

I'm having the time of my life w/ the Fractal AX8, it's truly perfect for me & my needs. :)

The tones are stellar & have been developed for years & years on its big brother platform the Axe FX II. That's a huge plus for me......& I'm getting GREAT tones VERY FAST now!

I put together a fun/funny Studio-X tour & gear run though video, that's "Talking Only". It's a long one, so watch at your own risk & I do ramble on about a few off topic things like "influences" & "Karma" so you may....um...want to skip those parts! :eek: The 1st 5-minutes is all you need, if that!

I'm very happy w/ my gear purchases & current set-up & I'm finalizing my cover band rig as we speak.

Welcome to Studio-X! (You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 15-minutes good bye). :p

The opening clean tones are the AX8's USA clean amp.....the next 2-songs are the Axe-Fx, followed by the 11-Rack...FYI Only

I've spent some time reading threads, the manual & testing out the overwhelming amount of killer amp models in this fantastic new unit.

I'm working on several direct AX8 audio demos in my limited spare time.....but will share a few of my favorite tones from my XMANNROCKS Instagram page. I've been documenting my amp tests here, as it gives me a reference when I get some ear fatigue & need to go back & listen again.

The Marshall JS410 Red & Orange channels are at the top of my favorite list for what I like to do....

Amp Settings:
    [​IMG]

Cab type & settings
    [​IMG]

These quick samples are all at a pretty loud (Gig) volume & through my dual Friedman FRFR ASM-12 set-up. All just iPhone video/audio, but the good stuff is coming soon! I'm pretty sure I'm breaking A LOT of condo rules & can only do these tests when Mrs X is out of the house.......because....she'd kill me! :oops:

I've always been a minimalist when it comes to gear, pedals, FX & guitars......& am still a huge 11-Rack fan too (& always will be).

Having said that, the quality & quantity of the FX in the little black box still astounds me. This unit should/could sell for $2k & it would still be a great bargin.

I put together a standard Trailer Trash Flat Board to protect the AX8 & get it off the floor a bit at my band gigs.

"The AX8 Strikes Back"
    [​IMG]

Small & tight like a tiger, Grrr!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've found out that I tend to set-up all of the amps that I try out in a similar way & with the same cabinet.....SO....I'm trying out other Amp brands & cabinets that sound different. I'm very pleased w/ the layout & love using the AX8 Edit.....I'm a visual guy & like seeing things on the screen & in color.

Here's the Friedman Small Box Amp w/ the 2x12 Botique R121 cabinet....There's a clarity here (& on the Corncob/Cornford model too) that is realy interesting to me.......

The clarity & tube amp feel is what I'm really drawn to in this unit.....

It's very overwhelming getting 200+ Amps that I've never played through & no nothing about.....& that can be said for the cabinets too!

You're only as good as the IR you use on any of these devices right?

I also just got in a new custom Kiesel build that I'm SO loving right now.....& I just have to show you guys.

[​IMG]

I'm over 1/2 way done w/ a brand new ALL AX8 tune & it has the Double Verb Stock Fractal factory rig & the Dirty Shirley & HBE rigs on it so far.....more on that project later.

My favorite Amps are the JS410, Friedman HB (Not the HBE), Small Box, Dirty Shirley & the Cornford amp for now.....

More will follow & I just wanted to stop in & say hey....so....."Hey"!

I'm currently using scenes & the X/Y amp thingy w/ the same amp on both. I love the "Copy X to Y" & think it's a brilliant feature. I like to run one amp w/ low gain or almost clean & then the 2nd (aka Y) w/ the gain bumped-up.

The new firmware that's about to drop also has me eXcited too! I think the changes & updates will make this beast of a box even more usable.

My standard chain is as follows in most of my presets.

Wah, Drive, Chorus (or Flanger), Amp, Cab, Delay & then reverb.

I'm not having any problems w/ CPU usage & getting the best live tones I've ever had.

The modeling game is a great one & I feel that the technology has really arrived & then some.

My goal is always to entertain & I hope you laughed more then you cried in this thread & post!

Peace! X-Mann (aka Tim)

PS - It's not the gear that you own, it's what you do w/ the gear that you do own!

PSS - I had no idea just how well Fractal supports, updates & adds content like new amps to it's product line. I'm very confident that any small issues in the brand new AX8 unit will be resolved.......& for me....there are none at this time......Well.....I would like the preset read out to be BIGGER for my gigs.......but I hear that coming in the next few days though....so...YEA!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

3. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Are you and Xmann working together?:D

X-Mann likes this.
  4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Hahah, far from it.

X-Mann likes this.
  5. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

We're actually the same person! :D

No & I've actually been pretty hard on Nicolas......& for that...."I'm sorry" bro!:cool:

I'm just doing what I always do with ALL the products that I LOVE......I did this for the 11-Rack for 5+ years.....& do this w/ Kiesel guitars (4+)........& w/ Neil Zaza............& now Fractal Audio too......:rolleyes:

X

Bobby D and nicolasrivera like this.
  6. Pat6969

I'm just funnin' you guys. I know you're a passionate guy about gear.

nicolasrivera likes this.
  7. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I'm actually less about gear then most Pat........I'm about having fun, playing more.......& creating things! It just happens that I like creating guitar based things.

& it really beats my day job too! ;)

X

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    nicolasrivera likes this.
  8. Pat6969

Ya, I don't know where you find the time? I have a tough enough time trying to practice a half hour a day let alone trying to get into learning to record.

X-Mann likes this.
  9. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Recording looked so easy on TV. :)

X-Mann and nicolasrivera like this.
  10. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I totally hear you & if I don't pick a project or start a new video or song.......I play MUCH less!

All these fun little projects help create actual music & melodies for me...........

I've been having SO much fun with the new tones I'm getting, that it's stopped a few projects that should be done already too. Lol :(

X-Tip: Start yourself an Instagram Guitar page & keep it fresh with gear pics....& maybe some 15-second video licks & melodies. It's very easy to do, makes you play more, documents your progress.......& is just a lot of fun.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Gearzilla likes this.
  11. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

When you use SPDIF to run from the AX8 into the Axe-FX, are you using the AX8 just as a controller? Might be a stupid question, I know. But I've never used SPDIF, or any Fractal products. Just curious.

White board in the studio: cool idea.

X-Mann likes this.
  12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

@X-Mann Your enthusiasm is so infectious. It's drawing me toward the siren song of buying an AX8. I have a second wait list slot that is coming up soon.......

MIJLOVER, Matman and X-Mann like this.
  13. veritechc

veritechc Member

I'm a fan! I bet you can make me like the Ax8. I still have the Axe Fx 2 you steered me towards and I love it. Passed on the Ax8 but you never know...

14. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Lol....That's not my goal, but based on your amp likes, you'll just love this thing!

I feel like I just bought every amp that I always wanted to try, but could never afford.

There is a learning curve here & everything's not all roses & warm apple pie. When you buy the space shuttle of amp modeling, you need to put in the time to understand it to fly it straight.

I'm shocked that I'm getting these stellar tones so fast on a unit this deep.

I'm SO not a deep tweaker......well....until now that is! :D

Good luck!

X

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    mikah912 likes this.
  15. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Lol, I don't think you'll like it at all & you're totally happy w/ Helix & that's just awesome!

Keep Rocking that & enjoy it!

X

16. veritechc

veritechc Member

Actually I'm totally happy with the Axe Fx 2 and the Helix! Match made in Rock Heaven! I still thank you for your enthusiasm in directing me towards the Axe!

17. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hey JD,

I'm actually using the AX8 to record ALL of my recorded amp tones now. I'm just using the Axe Fx as a USB interface since my Focusrite really colored the sound.

I wanted/needed to hear the AX8 tones in one of my tunes to verify its awesomeness.

I will buy a new USB interface at some point though.

I SO want to share the AX8 song I'm working on, but it's only drums & ALL the rhythm guitars at this point.....but it's freaking awesome!!!!

E-mail me at XMANNROCKS@outlook.com & I'll send you a sneak peak.

X

18. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

19. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

Awesome, glad you're liking it. I was wondering where you had been since I hadn't seen an Ax8 post from you for a while since you got it. Absolutely loving my AxII here and so many awesome amp models that feel and sound great. Each one really does have it's own character, that's what amazes me. Sounds great a loud volumes, I don't get the ear fatigue like most modelers at high volumes. Looking forward to your tunes with it.

20. m~Dan

m~Dan Member

Very cool, great post, had fun reading and watching it :)

mikah912 and X-Mann like this.