XTC 101b guys - How are you running the Excursion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I've owned this amp for almost a week now, and I'm still somewhat learning it. For the past week I've been using "M" on the red channel for my leads, but today I switched it to "T" and am quite enjoying it. "L" seems a little bit overkill, but I don't think my oversized Mesa cab is helping with that?

Where are you guys running the excursion and why? I've not really moved the Blue (which is fabulous, by the way) excursion from "T" as I like it best there, but as I say, I'm still learning the amp as we speak.

2. Erik

Erik Member

Depends on which cab I use. With Greenbacks, I like "T" or "M". With G12H30's I usually use "M" or "L"...with V30's I seem to prefer "L".

That being said, on a recent gig I had cabs mixed up (thought I had my G12H30...but had the Greenback cab, insead) and had the excursion on "L" the whole night. Got quite a few compliments on my tone...and I never realized the "mistake" until after the show. Go figure. Once the drummer kicks in, does it matter? :D

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

That's interesting, that with GBs you use "T" or "M" and V30s, "L". "L" seems to have a ginormous bottom end, but "T" almost seems more saturated.

Perhaps it's my imagination :D

4. Lution

Lution Member

I go in between the 3. Right now I'm preferring "L"oose with the bass knob dialed back to noon. This gives me some real meaty, yet woody tone along with the style switch set to "OLD"

5. Erik

Erik Member

"L" does have a huge low end...the V30's hold together pretty well, which is why I think they match together really well. I hadn't really noticed the saturation on "T"...thanks for giving me something else to think about. ;)

+1...except that instead of using the "old" style, I like using Class A.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I currently have it in Old and Half Power, and I'm back to "M" right now. I'm loving the way it can sound so different with the three switches. Where are you running your Pre-EQ? Mine's currently in Bright 1, but with the bass knob at about 1:30 to add fatness. Mids and treble just after noon.

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

As I say, it may be my imagination, because of the tighter, faster lows, that it feels more saturated? :confused:

8. Lution

Lution Member

I also switch between M and L frequently. I keep my Pre-EQ on B1. I put my bass knob in the same place on M (about 1:30) when I go to L I bring the bass down to noon.

My treble knob is set at about 11 am. my mid knob never moves. Its always at 10:30 am.

9. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

L or M ...T always seemed too thin to me...but you have the oversize cab so maybe T will work especially with some volume!

10. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Yes, this is the conclusion I pretty much came to earlier on. "T" is a little thin sounding, but I do quite like it on the Blue channel. I think I prefer the Red, for lead work especially, on "M" or "L". "L" is a little too much with this oversized cab, so I can't wait to pick up the Bogner 4x12 :)

11. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I have a Marshall 71' checkercab with OEM greenbacks and it sounded GREAT on L or M but rather thin in comparison on T. Hitting the blue channel with a keeley 808 is solo heaven!

12. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

L with my 1980 Marshall cab with Celestion 80's and M with my Uber Kab.

Usuallly switch between L and M with the OS 2x12 Bog and the Cubes.

Matt

13. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Geeez all you dang XTC owners, I'm jealous. Since you're all paying attention to the thread already, figured i might as well ask.

I've wanted an XTC amp for forever, but I occasionally need to do some harder rock nearing metal, with a Nasty MT-2 or even just the Head can I achieve some fat harder rock?

14. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

the amp is extremely versatile...can do all kinds of tones. You aren't looking to get a John Mayer type tone with it are you? there are much better amps for that type sound than the xtc.

15. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

With a good boost, saving for the extreme death metal tones, I'm not sure there's much in the way of dirt that the XTC couldn't do well.

Speaking of which, I'm looking at picking up a new boost. I've had a Maxon OD808 in the past but I didn't like the bypass. What are you guys using? I've been looking at either the Fulltone Fat Boost, Fulldrive 2 or the BB Preamp?

16. Erik

Erik Member

With just the head alone (no pedals), the blue channel with the gain around 2:00...boost engaged...all the distortion I want. If you want more, you could use the red channel for everything.

17. Erik

Erik Member

I tried a Keeley modded SD1 and an Xotic BB...didn't care for them with the XTC. IMHO, it didn't improve the feel or the tone of the amp, but I didn't try it in Plexi mode...that could probably make a difference.

18. billm408

billm408 Member

The other guitar player in my band has an Uberschall and the red channel on my XTC gets pretty close to matching up with him when I need to. Straight in, no pedals.

19. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

For what channel??

I finally settled on a Demeter for teh clean to fatten up Strat tones and a TF Abunai 2 for the non-boosted Blue channel and the Red channel set to Plexi mode.

Matt

20. geetarman

geetarman Member

If you're looking for a TS type od I use a MJM Blues Devil with my Ecstasy it's true bypass and sounds great.