XTC Classic on the way... questions?

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Hi there. I won an Ebay auction for a Bogner Ecstasy Classic last night. Just threw a "joke" bid out there because I didn't think I'd win at my max bid, but last night $2200 was good enough to get the job done. Some guy outbid me at $2225, but ended-up retracting his bid.

Anyways... guess I'd better sell my Shiva to pay for this thing. In the meantime I looted my savings and borrowed some from the wife's dream vacation savings account. She's thrilled as you can imagine, but a very loving and patient wife (and I thank her for that regularly).

Can those of you with XTC Classic experience compare it to say, my EL34 Shiva? Or maybe the 101B (which I have played)? The descriptions say that it's more open-sounding and "woody" and less compressed than the 101B. More "rich and organic" and less "processed or greasy" maybe? Closer to an old Marshall?

Thanks for your input on this.

se7en

It'll be closer to a Marshall, but will still have it's own very unique footprint. It's more open than the 101b and tighter with a nicer clean. It doesn't have as much gain (hey who really needs all of it anyway), but it does have more bite which I like. Compared to the Shiva, it will be a thicker voicing with a wider midrange and deeper low end.

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
It'll be closer to a Marshall, but will still have it's own very unique footprint. It's more open than the 101b and tighter with a nicer clean. It doesn't have as much gain (hey who really needs all of it anyway), but it does have more bite which I like. Compared to the Shiva, it will be a thicker voicing with a wider midrange and deeper low end.
Excellent! Sounds like pretty much what I wanted. The older I get, the more I turn-down the gain knob. I currently use the Shiva's gain at noon. But I do push the front end with an OCD set with high volume and low gain to give my tone a nice, bright edge and a bit more hair.

Also, as much as I love the Shiva, it frustrates me at times because there's just very little bottom end thump there. I'm used to my Traynor YCS100H and that thing has some thump to it. Good to hear I'll get my thump back! Thanks!

geetarman

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah Se7en pretty much nailed it I rarely run the gain past 2:00 on my Classic it has plenty of gain IMO. If you happen need more just run a boost or od up front and you're there. The cleans are a bit better on the Shiva but the Classic is no slouch. I also find the Classic likes to be opened more so than the 101b and then it really starts to breathe fire. Enjoy!

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah Se7en pretty much nailed it I rarely run the gain past 2:00 on my Classic it has plenty of gain IMO. If you happen need more just run a boost or od up front and you're there. The cleans are a bit better on the Shiva but the Classic is no slouch. I also find the Classic likes to be opened more so than the 101b and then it really starts to breathe fire. Enjoy!
Good to know. I usually use my OCD anyways... as I've become a bit of an addict. I really like the way it adds a nice, sparkley presence to things and when I roll back the guitar's volume, it stays that way and seems very alive (versus muffled and dead).

I'll definitely have to open her up and really get to know her LOUD to see what she can do!

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
A TGP'er was selling that one.
Cool. Hopefully he's not too bummed that it didn't go for more. I'm excited as that's about as high as I could go and not find myself living in my truck... LOL.

I watched a 101B go for $1925ish last week. Same guy had a Shiva that sold for $1125. Probably didn't help that the guy only had one Feedback. Plus, the market is real soft right now. That's why my Shiva didn't sell the first time (didn't meet my reserve).

ChicagoFraize

You might try throwing a nice delay unit in the loop for some nice ambience. I like a Lexicon Alex (cheap but great sounding) or MPX-1 in mine and it sounds great.

Enjoy the amp!

CF

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
The seller contacted md and says that he should have it packed-up and shipped-out by Tuesday. So I'm glad I heard from him. Always a bummer to send a bunch of money and then not hear anything until the item arrives. Gonna be a long wait until the XTC arrives from the east coast to MT. But I guess I'll keep myself busy with the Eleven Rack that I recieved today.

se7en

Excellent! Sounds like pretty much what I wanted. The older I get, the more I turn-down the gain knob. I currently use the Shiva's gain at noon. But I do push the front end with an OCD set with high volume and low gain to give my tone a nice, bright edge and a bit more hair.

Also, as much as I love the Shiva, it frustrates me at times because there's just very little bottom end thump there. I'm used to my Traynor YCS100H and that thing has some thump to it. Good to hear I'll get my thump back! Thanks!
Man, you got a great deal and you can cover so much ground with that amp. I have the 20th XTC and it's insane how versatile it is. As someone else mentioned, the XTC Classic will really shine as you open it up, although the master volume is very good and sounds great at low volumes, too.

Trending Topics