xtc or roadking?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 155, May 8, 2008.

1. 155

155 Supporting Member

It a toss up for and I want some feedback from you guys. Im looking for the most verstile of the two, I know the xtc has a/b switch which I like but could live w/o. give me some reason for each and not the obvious, one recto ones not, ****

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I would vote Roadster..... I have owned the two amps, and the Roadster. The Roadster, to me is better.

I found little to no use for progressive linkage and the XTC is OK, not as great as some state. The blue channel is money though, but the other two are average. If you want a classic sound, go Bogner.

If you want a modern sound, get a Roadster or Road kng. I was able to dial in the Roadking / ROadster to sound like the Modena in the shop I was demo-ing the amps.

Bogner = Clasic rock, country, alt, etc

Mesa = HArd Rock, Metal, country, harder alt, etc

Clean is better in the Mesa, and obviously metal is better.

I like the MESA hard rock tone, but the bogner blue is a standard channel.

The main thing is the Cab. I reccomend Bogner Cabs, V-30's

Good luck.

3. glenecho

glenecho Member

I played the Road King II at the Mesa Store in Hollywood for 3 hours in tons of different configurations, with every intention when I walked in the place of buying it. On paper, it was exactly what I was looking for and the added feature of having the Lone Star clean pushed it over the top.

Bottom line, I walked out with the Mark IV instead. The Road King II may have the Lone Stars cleans, but I'll be damned if it sounded anything like it to me. And the lead channels in any configuration whether using the 6L6's or the EL34's sounded so much the same to me I failed to see what the point was. Bottom line for me is that the amp sounded like a Recto (because at heart that's what it really is) and I couldn't see spending the extra money on it. The Mark IV had a way better clean tone and doesn't have that raspy hairy recto tone on the lead channel either. The progressive linkage did almost nothing to my ears.

Haven't tried out the Bogner, but I would definitely recommend putting a Road King through it's paces first, I didn't find it to be versatile at all.

4. 155

155 Supporting Member

mabye the roadster is the way to go for me but I really want a good clean! am I gonna get it? I know the bogner clean is good. what does the roadster clean compare to , fender?

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I've owned a couple Mesas and played a few more including the Road King. I have never been impressed with them except for the one tone rectifiers are known for. In that sense I really dug them and that was the main reason I bought one. But it was also the reason I sold it. I didn't find it to be that incredibly versatile and I found my self going back to Marshall tones.

With that said, I wasn't too impressed with Bogner XTC once I really played and got to know it. Cleans are nothing to go crazy about but the Blue Plexi is amazing. The Hi Gain Red is usable for me as well. Although, there is a "sag" tone quality to them that I can't seem to get over which is the reason I haven't jumped on one. On the other hand, the Blue Plexi mode would almost make it worth... You know I think I personally dug on the Shiva more overall tonally.

I had a buddy show me a recording he did and it was a modern Hi gain thing and I really dug the tones. He was using a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo. I have yet to try the Roadster but I can definitely say that it recorded very well on his track.

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Most versatile: RoadKing

However, there are major differences in the voicing between these two amps. What sort of sound (bands, artists) are you going for?

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Fairly large difference in a Road King and an XTC (I played a 101b) in where the mids sit, and how low the lows seem to go. I felt the cleans were a bit more metallic on the XTC, but the blue CHannel on the Bogner... It's something special. I liked the feel of the Bogner better. Maybe the Mesa is a bit stiffer, but the XTC isn't exactly loose. I think the RK is quite a bit more versatile as far as what's available on the fly without turning knobs.

I do agree that there is little advantage in having progressive linkage. However, being able to say, drop a set of yellowjackets in the EL34 slots and drop the output on a dirty channel, say CH 2 or 3, and push the snot out of em, and run all 6 in another channel for high headroom, can be useful and kinda cool. As far as different tones, little to no difference between 2 6L6s and 2 EL34s in that amp (Clips in my sig link).

8. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Kokopelli ... cool avatar ....

XTCs do 80s and 90s metal perfectly, which is what I am playing now, and it is what I use. Numetal, no ... no scooped sounds unless you put an EQ in the loop.

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

80's metal, yes.

90's metal not really IMHO.

I think this is too vauge of a description first off, and secondly it leaves many with the idea that the XTC red channel is a faceburner, which it really isn't. The XTC, in my eyes, is like a vintage hot-rodded Marshall 2203. Metal after 1990, would be better played and heard from the Uberschall or even RoadKing, as both of these amps have a more modern voicing heard in the genre of music.

11. 155

155 Supporting Member

yeah Im definately looking for the newer school sound and Im concerned I wont find it on the xtc so mabye the roadking is gonna be the way to go here. thanks for the input

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

It is the Loan star channel.

I like my 6l6's, and El34's... mixxed together, its not my style.:band

13. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I have a Mark IV as well, I put 6V6 tubes in it, and the tone is incredible, played with the 6L6 and EL-34, however 6V6 tone is a keeper, you might try it if you have not yet. :BEER

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i personally like the xtc better than the roadking II, i think the gain is smoother and clearer sounding and i love the feel of this amp, theres many tones and way it can be dialed in. if it feels too loose you theres a switch that make it feel tighter, it also sounds great at most volumes where with the mesa i only liked them when they were really loud other wise i hated the way the gain sounded and i felt it was kinda muddy, i play metal and i loved the xtc with a od9 in front of the red ch to get more of a modern tone, i plan on buying another xtc someday. ive owned lots of mesa's and i sold them all.

15. 155

155 Supporting Member

nice set up dude hows the diezel?

16. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

That's what I did in my RKII & lovin' it!
    So far it's:
    CH1-2x6L6+2xEL84, mode/Fat, diode rectifier
    CH2-2xEL84, mode/Brit, tube recto
    CH3-2x6L6+2xEL84, mode/Vintage, tube recto
    CH4-4x6L6(sometimes W/2xEL84), mode/Modern,diode recto
    I get pristine clean, edgy mid-gain "kerrang", sustaining solo voice & thumpy crunch distortion. There are a LOT more tones too.
    Best amp(for me) I ever bought!

Tony

17. 155

155 Supporting Member

thats what I like about the rk2 is the diferent tube variations, what does it do to run the 2 el34's on the modern channel?

18. sleepingtiger

I'm not sure what your question is....I personally don't care for EL34's at all. I prefer 6L6's & EL84's.

Tony

19. 155

155 Supporting Member

anyone who gives a **** I went for the roadster and Im not looking back!

20. sleepingtiger

As long as YOU dig it...that's all that matters.
    I'm happy for you!

Tony