1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Y cable for two heads into one cabinet??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DetourMS, Aug 31, 2005.

1. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

I am trying to run one guitar through two heads simultaneously.
    Putting the guitar to the two heads is done. I need help with the cab. I have an old Marshall cab with a single input. Can I take the output of my Marshall head and the output of my modeling amp and connect them into this Y cable described below and then put the single input into the cab ???

Y Cables - Effects send/receive "splitter" cable
    Stereo/Insert Y cable, Belden Wire, Switchcraft connectors
    Part Number YS301-1
    Male Stereo TRS 1/4" to two mono 1/4 connectors.

2. Randy

Randy Member

NO!!! You'll blow both heads in short order - probably the cabinet too.

You need to rewire your cabinet to true stereo - add a speaker jack and hook a pair of 12's to each jack. I'd make sure the jacks were the plastic insulated type or were mounted on a non conductive plate to insure ground isolation too.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Unless you like to see smoke coming from your amps, DO NOT attempt this :eek: .

4. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

THANK YOU !!!.

I guess I will rewire my cabinet and deal with two speakers
    for each head.

5. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

Good head's up on the non conductive plate. My les paul is "hot" enough. I don't need the bridge electrocuting me.

6. narapo

narapo Member

I think what you need is a Radial Headbone
    [​IMG]

wich offers secure and silent switching with load resistor to protect your amp heads.