Ya know, I don't see any advantage to shopping on Amazon ....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, May 3, 2016.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    .... actually a disadvantage, you can't see what you're buying and if it's not right then you have to ship it back.

1. They are every bit as expensive as retail stores.
    B. They charge tax on everything.
    C. They are expensive for on line.
    D. They cost you a lot of bucks!

Counterpoints accepted below this line :red _______________________________________.

2. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

A) Free shipping.
    2) No human interaction, if you don't care for that sort of thing
    iii) contains all available desired merchandise in the universe, more or less.

micycle, buddaman71, Probos and 17 others like this.
  3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

#) They drive such tight margins that even with sales tax the prices are likely lower than local retailers

4. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

That explains their lack of success.:rolleyes:

5. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Best place to comparison shop price. Reviews and FAQ are often very helpful.

6. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Every time we purchase on Amazon, it's because
    A) Price is better than elsewhere (except the odd "who-the-hell-is-this-website" seller)
    B) Not available locally
    C) They stand behind the purchase (sure, sometimes you could get stiffed, depending upon whether it's a 3rd party, but that's the exception, not the rule)

We have a Prime account and it works well for us. Quite well, actually. And I'm pretty "old-school" in that I enjoy going to local businesses and supporting them. But often they don't have what you want/need and/or the prices are dramatically higher.

In short - it just works for most situations.

CharlyG and Darkburst like this.
  7. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

[​IMG]

ibis, MangoMango, Nevets and 15 others like this.
  8. Dr. Tweedbucket

I was shopping for a GoPro and couldn't find any kind of deal on it. Best Buy matched them. Same thing a month ago looking for some good kitchen knives .... nothing was remotely any kind of bargin. :waiting

On the camera, going elsewhere online, B&H and offered a wayyy better deal plus free accessories. The problem is, I was stuck with a stupid Amazon gift card.

9. gdane4

gdane4 Supporting Member

Rarely are prices more than local. Just watch shipping charges.

More items to choose from.

Usually very quick shipping if sold by Amazon

I wanted to buy shoes off amazon this past weekend, wife said let's go to Macy's to try them on and see, drove to mall, parked, fought crowds, waited for assistance, picked the shoe I liked out of what was displayed . . .

sorry, don't have my size. next shoe? my size not available.

Guess what? They said they could order my size!!! Geez, that's just what I was going to do from the comfort of my home!!

Wasted trip. Went home and ordered off of amazon.

Amazon prime free shipping. My elderly parents take specific vitamins monthly. They live out of state and had trouble getting to the store to get their vitamins. I can order off Amazon and they will drop ship monthly. cost is less than local stores. Parents get vitamins at their doorstep once a month. Worth it.

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

1. This is not my experience on many items.
    B. I have never paid tax on an Amazon transaction.
    C. I find their prices competitive, but from time to time other online retailers beat them, nevertheless Amazon prime is generally a better shipping option.
    D. They only cost me what I am willing to spend there.

oh and:

5. Free 2-day shipping with prime membership
    VI: Prime music, prime video streaming
    g: When I buy CDs there, they are generally 9.99 and I get to download the MP3s instantly.
    H: Their selection trumps local retailers.

11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I often buy stuff from Amazon that I can't find locally or at least not without dedicating an hour or two for driving and finding the item. Plenty of times it comes with no sales tax. My Amex card includes Amazon Prime, so shipping is always free. Yesterday I got a pair of grips for my motorcycle that I'd otherwise have had to order from my local dealer, pay more and ride down there and back. I can't find Motul 15/50 oil anywhere locally. I can have it shipped to my door by Amazon for a decent price. Obscure used books? Where am I going to find those without getting lucky at a local used book store? Waterslide decal printing paper? $30 at the local Office Depot, $10 on Amazon with free shipping. That's not a difficult decision.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

I agree with most except for B.

Total Before Tax: $329.99 ( on a stripped down model ... could have done way better at B&H ).
    Estimated Tax: $22.27 :messedup
    Gift Card: -$129.61

Order Total: $222.65

As far as reviews .... I take them with a grain of salt ... most are probably real but some aren't.

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

So you don't have to worry about it any more, I'll take it! :idea Thanks!

derekd and EricPeterson like this.
  14. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

I always find a better price elsewhere without tax and free shipping.
    I pretty much only buy books from Amazon nowadays.

15. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I'm not sure where the "every bit as expensive as retail stores" thing comes from, because Amazon is MUCH cheaper in many categories. Particularly in terms of home or home office electronics like wifi routers, network switches, DVD players, home theater equipment, etc. Amazon is a good 20-30% cheaper than Best Buy, Office Depot, et al. Plus free shipping, great return policy, easy shopping experience, etc. No mystery why brick and mortar retail is circling the drain.

16. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I love it. With prime I can have it in 2 days or less and have yet to find anything I've bought on Amazon to be more expensive than anywhere else.

Here we have Prime Now so there's a whole world of stuff that will make it to the house within 2 hours of ordering, at no extra charge unless you want to tip. 2 days ago I ordered a box of diapers, paper towels, TP, and baby food...all at a discount.

It was all on the doorstep before I got home from work (avoiding a very annoying and time consuming trip to target or whatever on the way home) and all it cost me above a regular order was a $5 tip.

Returns are processed immediately and on the rare occasion an order didn't show up due to the USPS morons they replaced it without hesitation.

buddaman71 likes this.
  17. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I stumbled upon cabin filters for my '01 530i on Amazon. $24 for the pair, $80 for the exact same MANN filters at the dealer!

THIS is why I at least check items on Amazon before purchasing.

Drumnbum and EricPeterson like this.
  18. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I almost exclusively buy books from amazon. Maybe this is why it seems like a good deal to me. And their selection of books is pretty crazy, especially more obscure, academic type texts.

mmolteratx, RoryGfan, derekd and 3 others like this.
  19. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I agree and I buy a ton of stuff from them. Some states do require the sales tax now. In NC if a company has a physical footprint in the state then they must collect state tax on orders shipped to NC. Amazon has a distribution center here somewhere(Greensboro?).

20. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I usually go for stuff I can't get locally .... Tucson is an hour away and Phoenix is 3 hours so it works well for me

Amazon is great for those of us in smaller towns or rural environments. When I lived in Germany Amazon was a fantastic way to get US stuff that was hard to find in Europe.

Even if I can get it locally that means leaving my house using up gasoline in the car and all the time that takes

State/local tax seems to be hit or miss .... they usually seem to charge me taxes, though. I think Amazon has a physical presence in Arizona with a distribution center so that may be why.

When I lived in Maryland we had to pay tax on L. L. Bean orders since there was a physical store in the state.

As for books I usually buy the kindle version.

:munch