'Yacht Rock' Should Not Qualify a Great Pop Song as a Negative!

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Yacht Rock is a 'fun' kind of category to place a really harmonic & memorable classic Rock tune ...
But the way it's often used signifies a put-down of the tune...

Get it straight ... it ain't> :)

Tone_Boss

I like this term, what is the definition of yacht rock or some examples ?

Edit: Wow didnt realize there was a wikipedia page for it or that it was such an established term.

Last edited:

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
"'Yacht Rock' is a pejorative name[6][7] used retrospectively to refer to the soft rock format that peaked in popularity between the years of 1975 and 1984. In part, the term relates to the stereotype of the yuppie yacht owner, enjoying smooth music while out for a sail. Additionally, since sailing was a popular leisure activity in Southern California, many "yacht rockers" made nautical references in their lyrics, videos, and album artwork, particularly the anthemic track "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. Notable artists also include Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Boz Scaggs, Steely Dan and Toto."

suckamc

Silver Supporting Member
Yacht Rock is a 'fun' kind of category to place a really harmonic & memorable classic Rock tune ...

Agreed. Most of it is in the production. BUT, that goes for (e.g.) Def Leppard, too. Some of those songs are incredible, and if they'd been recorded in Nashville in the 90's, their naysayers would feel differently about them. That goes for lots of songs.

That said, the production is a legitimate reason to criticize a musical product as a whole.

loudboy

The main thing to remember is that it does not, in fact, rock.

That doesn't mean it can't be well-written, recorded and performed, but it's roots are closer to The Carpenters than Chuck Berry.

It's pop music, pure and simple.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
IMO, he's correct. It's a pretty stupid and lazy generalization that includes a lot of really good music. :dunno
So, you guys love yacht rock, and I'm a fan of some bands that would fall into it, but that doesn't change the fact that the term "yacht rock" is generally pejorative, and it also doesn't mean that those that think some of it is just plain lame are "wrong".

I just think Joseph's pattern of starting threads Purely to defend his tastes is a little odd.

Swirl

I play in a yacht rock cover band called PleasureCraft. I always think of yacht rock as smooth music from '75 - '85. It's definitely a fine line as to what falls in and falls out of the designation.

Songs about sunshine, sailing, and marina's definitely score points to put it in the category.

Swirl

Steely Dan's Royal Scam, AJA, and Gaucho are some of the smoothest records ever made. Songs that lyrically revolve around drugs and questionable characters and musically are smooth as silk definitely says yacht to me.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I will never understand why Steely Dan is lumped into this category.
One thing that really sets them apart is the lyrics. I know a lot of players around here focus on the gutar solos and really don't give a crap about the lyrics or singing, but Steely Dan songs have some amazing and subversive lyrics and their whole song craft can really put the listener in a different time or place.

I think they were more of a modern, pop version of older jazz than "yacht rock". They definitely aren't all sunshine and happiness.

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
One thing that really sets them apart is the lyrics. I know a lot of players around here focus on the gutar solos and really don't give a crap about the lyrics or singing, but Steely Dan songs have some amazing and subversive lyrics and their whole song craft can really put the listener in a different time or place.

I think they were more of a modern, pop version of older jazz than "yacht rock". They definitely aren't all sunshine and happiness.
Yet many uninformed and/or lazy people will go ahead and lump them in as yacht rock, because of some video or message board post, which is pretty dumb imo.

That is what I read the thread as being about, not somebody's personal tastes.

Trending Topics