Yacht Rock

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
The More I see what folk deem as Yacht Rock ... The more I realize how I really LOVE these kind of tunes ...
However, it's seems that I really love a wide realm of music from almost all genres ...
Life is easier in that where ever you go & whatever kind of music you hear folk playing ... You will immediately dig...

derekd

Silver Supporting Member

Really, anything by Steely Dan.
LOL!

:spit

Let's get a working definition of "yacht rock." Is it music one would listen to on your yacht? If so, anything could qualify.

I might be missing something, but this seems to be the most nongenre genre I've heard of. Of course, acid polk is out there, too.

(Something)

LOL!

:spit

Let's get a working definition of "yacht rock." Is it music one would listen to on your yacht? If so, anything could qualify.

I might be missing something, but this seems to be the most nongenre genre I've heard of. Of course, acid polk is out there, too.
From Wikipedia:
In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock from the 1970s and 80s. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts. Significant "yacht rockers" include Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, and Toto.

Swirl

Really, anything by Steely Dan.
For Steely Dan I would really only put songs from Royal Scam through Gaucho into the yacht rock category.

It is an expansive "genre". It can include rock, funk, or disco, but really only certain songs.

This mix is a good representation of yacht rock

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
From Wikipedia:
In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock from the 1970s and 80s. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts. Significant "yacht rockers" include Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, and Toto.
Thanks for that, but this is about as clear as mud and is a wiki page, hardly an industry definition, though someplace to start, I suppose. :dunno

How many hundreds of tunes along those lines were written and performed during that 20 year period? They can't all be yacht rock.

Again, I think it is the most worthless musical genre I've come across.

(Something)

Thanks for that, but this is about as clear as mud and is a wiki page, hardly an industry definition, though someplace to start, I suppose. :dunno

How many hundreds of tunes along those lines were written and performed during that 20 year period? They can't all be yacht rock.

Again, I think it is the most worthless musical genre I've come across.
Yacht Rock is a genre in the same way Spinal Tap and Deathklok are bands: it's very tongue in cheek. There are some really good songs that fit the genre, but it isn't supposed to be taken too seriously. The term originated from online videos detailing the (fictional) lives of 70s/80s soft rock stars.

Last edited:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Is there a relationship or overlap between "yacht rock" and the "El Lay" scene/sound?

Trending Topics