YACT: RAF Mirage vs. Diamond vs. Maxon CP101

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitar Josh, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

YACT = Yet Another Compressor Thread

I've got one space on my board I'm looking to fill. Rather than stick yet another drive pedal on there, I'm looking for something that will compliment all my tones, rather than just add another one.

I've narrowed it down to these three comps. I don't want a Tone Press, thanks!

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Looking for a "leave on" compressor

2) Don't want "squish"

3) Want something that will even out string volume, slightly "fatten" the sound and overall enhance the tone.

Given that, how do these compressors compare with each other?

Thanks!!

2. RSK

RSK Member

I have almost every name brand compressor made and for "leave on all the time enhanced tone", the Mirage is the one I always use. It does not pump, but will thicken as needed without treble loss or harshness.

3. Guitar Josh

I was leaning towards the mirage, thanks RSK.

4. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Don't know about the other ones, but that's a perfect description of the CP101- Maxon touts it as a compressor for people who don't love compressors. You won't even know you have it on until you turn it off, love mine.

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

To confuse things more. You will definitely meet your needs with the Diamond. Very smooth, natural, and complementary to your tone. More like studio compression than a compressor pedal.

6. jayn

jayn Member

Yeah....way better than the CP-101, IMO. Never heard of the Mirage.

7. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 for the Diamond. Never heard of the Mirage though.

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've had the Mirage and the Diamond...the Mirage added fatness and distortion that could not be dialled out...

in an email conversation with Montez I found out that there apparently was a couple of different circuits floating around...since I no longer had it I could not determine if I had one of those circuits or a faulty unit...it didn't sound good and certainly not like the reports I've read here...

I was also not impressed with the Diamond...it messed with my attack too much for it to be useful to me...I don't get the high praises it gets here...perhaps there was an earlier version of this that sounded different to one that gets high praises...as always YMMV!

my A team is plain and simple...the BJF PGC which I have just reacquired after foolishly selling the first one...it just does what all the other comps don't...leaves your high end and attack alone...

it sounds perfect with a strat pretty good with a tele and ok but not great with a 335 clean...this is a leave it on all the time tone enhancer that adds a certain something to both clean and dirty tones...I love it goosing dirt boxes...

the Okko Coca is also awesome for not a lot of money...hopefully I will be shooting a Coca Comp out against my PGC this weekend...I may get both...

and I almost forgot the Telenordia compressor is definitly worthy of a mention here...it's especially great at goosing dirt boxes

I am seriously curious about the Maxon CP9Pro+ as it apparently works well with hums...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. Guitar Josh

I did some more internet digging, and with the suggestions in this thread, purchased a Diamond Compressor. I like the flexibility of the EQ knob and the high marks it gets all around. Looking forward to hearing what it can do!!

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Maxon CP9 Pro+ Compressor/Limiter. It does everything you asked for. And because it uses the actual dbx circuitry, it is very high quality and can be tweaked in ways that other compressors can't, ie: Threshold & Ratio - parameters that are critical to using it with different guitars, IMHO, YMMV.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've used the Diamond and like Seegs it messed with attack and I really couldn't sense any "sustain" until it started to be set near max, then the attack was totally gone. Been through other Ross-style compressors, like Keeley's for instance, and I don't care for them.

I have a Barber but haven't been using it for a while as it pumps (Ross-based) on held chords/notes and, for my rig, I lose some high-end with it. Not sure if there's a compressor that will work for me, but the Barber has been the best so far.

12. jhideout

jhideout Member

This thread is relevant to my own interests. Finally got to demo a diamond comp today..I was very impressed. I love how it is subtle and makes your strings seem to pop and feel more lively.

I didnt buy it because I still want to try out a mirage.

13. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have owned all three of these in addition to the BJF Pale Green Compressor...the reasonably priced one and a bunch of others, Keeley, Analog Man Comp/Bi-Comps etc.

IMO the ones you mention could all be an "always on" device. The Maxon is very simple but it is not true bypass, though that may not be an issue. It has a very nice smooth response but does not do squishy which sounds like you don't want anyway.

I had the Mirage twice and liked it quite a bit, its tweakable and VERY transparent. I did not like the flashing LED which I found annoying but that's just me.

The Diamond was the most tweakable and I found myself futzing with the knobs a lot and it did something to my sound that I could not put my finger on but for me something was lacking...not sure what exactly. The Diamond is a VERY high quality device with a lot of fans and for very good reason.

The BJF Pale Green was very tweakable and it really stood out for me, you could find "the setting" and just leave it.

For my $ I think the BJF #1, Mirage #2, Maxon #3 (found used for under $100 too).

My 2.347898634 cents

14. jurfin

jurfin Member

though i have not played the BJFE version - my bearfoot PGC has ended my comp search. it sounds great no matter how you set it. i keep the comp knob low, which leaves you with a fair amount of boost on the volume knob, and it also has a really nicely dialed in tone control. i am not sure what it emphasizes exactly, but i think it affects the low mids. it has a really nice subtle range from less present to more present.

i dont know. it is perfect for me. hope that helps!

lastly, have you checked out the ovnilab site? it was a very helpful resource for me when i was in your situation.

15. geodr

geodr Member

Mirage is great, much prefer it to Diamond.

16. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I've never understood the love for the Diamond either... It just didn't play well with other pedals and didn't add much sustain/bloom. I'd get the Mirage if I ever decide to try a compressor again.

17. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

Holy five year gear post gap Batman!