Yahoo ! Fuchs replay in the house!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Bought a Traynor mod from Andy a couple months back. I sent it back to Andy recently to switch to 6L6 tubes and a Fender Twin OT and it just sounds amazing. I'm going to do some clips with it over the next couple days with it along with his Replay tube delay pedal. Sounds freakin' awesome....

Here's a quick taste-test I posted in the demo forum. Not a real demo. Just some noodling/practicing with the recording running...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=648109

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

This should be good. Can't wait to hear it.

3. elicious

elicious Member

any chance you could A/B it with the Wampler? :)

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

This is one I am looking forward to.

5. jzucker

bump for a clip link

6. elicious

elicious Member

how does it compare to the Wampler?

7. jzucker

Different though there is some overlap. It is very warm and organic because of the vacuum tube and associated analog circuitry. Also, it's got the tone control for the repeats which has a slightly wider range than the wampler and effects the repeats a little more. There is more control over the modulation with the wow and flutter control. Wow controls the modulation level and flutter controls the frequency. I have it dialed in fairly close to how i had the wampler dialed it. It's also got the tap tempo which is a nice feature.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

nice, definitely looking forward to checking out the replay and comparing it to the empress superdelay(which at this point, has eclipsed the tte and tes for my taste), as well as the wampler, which just arrived today.

do the repeats saturate/degrade - or is it more of just hf rolloff?

9. jzucker

Not sure. I need to run it with the delay only output and listen more. Maybe Andy can pipe in with more info if he sees this.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've spent more time. Andy should have you send it to me next :D

Also, does it have an el84 inside? Almost seems like it has all of the tube echo hardware except the actual tape.

Lou

11. jzucker

Just an ax7 as far as I can tell. He'd kill me if I opened it up but I'm curious what's inside. Definitely a cool bit of engineering. I want to see/play the Junior version. I guess it sounds pretty much the same with a few less features. Lots of folks use the tap tempo but I'd probably be just as happy without it. I need to run it in stereo too.

12. elicious

elicious Member

...and I'd like to hear the REP-3, particularly next to the VMSD and Skrecho!

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

This is why I ask....check this pic from Andy's R&D collage...

[​IMG]

14. jzucker

you're right. I just popped it open. What an impressive piece of engineering it is!

I should have read the manual:

The Replay Tube Delay Specifications:
    Cabinet: 6” x 9” (front panel) x 3” at rear 1” inch at front
    Weight: 1.5 lbs
    Cabinet Material: Solid 16 Gauge Steel
    covering: Industrial Grade powder coating. Heat cured silk screening.
    Circuitry: Selected low noise 12AX7 tube, EM-80 Level indicator tube, True High Voltage © switching power supply, regulated 6 volts to tube filaments.

POWER: 9 VDC (ONLY) from external adaptor only, no battery.

Input impedance 1-M Mix Output impedance approximately 10-K.
    Delay Loop output impedance 10-K Fx Loop return impedance 1-Meg
    Delay: 32-Khz Clock 15-K Bandwidth with up to 1-Second of delay time.

REPLAY 11-20-2009-AMF

Using the Replay in an effects loop:

[​IMG]

The Replay is plugged into the amplifier effects loop, or patch (pre/power amp) or (loop) jacks. The output from the preamp (usually labeled send, or preamp out) is sent into the jack marked Input. The output from the Replay is returned to the effects loop return jack.
    The Replay has a trimmer on the bottom panel for adjusting input signal level to accommodate a guitar, or loop (1-V) signal levels.

The signal level should be monitored by the level tube and the peak LED, to insure the delay line is not overloaded by too high a signal.

Using the Replay in the front end of a guitar amp

The Replay may be used on a pedal board, on the input of a guitar amp. In this case, it is important to make sure the amp is not used in overload or high gain mode. It is assumed the distortion would be obtained using pedals.

Powering the Replay:

The Replay runs on 9-VDC, through an external adaptor (supplied). The unit normally ships with either a Visual Sound One Spot or the Godlyke Power Adaptor, both of which are universal adaptors for worldwide use. The pedal is intended to operate on 9-VDC only. Exceeding this voltage can damage the unit, which is not covered by warranty. If you wish to power your Verbrator from an external power supply, it must be capable of furnishing at least 200 MA of clean, ripple free DC. In some cases, the Replay may produce noise in other pedals when sharing a power supply. This is due to the switching power supply. While the Replay is highly filtered and regulated, in some cases this noise cannot be avoided. In this case, use a dedicated adaptor to power the Replay only.

Tubular details:

The tube used in the tube FX Loop is a selected Ruby Tubes 12AX7-HG. Since all the audio through both the loop of the pedal pass through this tube, it’s important that it be a high quality tube. NOS tubes or other brands may be used, although a low noise selected tube is recommended.

When replacing this tube, a 12AX7 tube of similar quality should be used to insure maximum performance with lowest noise. The tube supplied with the unit should last for many years of trouble-free performance. Suggested tube replacement time is 3-years from date of purchase.

The level indicator is an EM-84 tube. This tube is commonly available from tube suppliers on the internet, as well as from Fuchs. These tubes are known to last many years without replacement. The tube will continue to function for many years however the luminescent screen may dim over time.

15. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. While you are inside Jack, straighten that EYE tube...lol. We switched to a tighter socket in production, and the tubes no longer tip over in shipment....You are welcome to look inside, although the picture on my photobucket page shows pretty much what you'll find.

LV I'd like to try to have that unit forwarded to you for a brief test-drive, although I need it back asap, to ship to NAMM. Depends on when Jack is done etc. The Junior is indeed the same basic circuit, although the input trimmer (bottom panel), wet FX loop, and eye tube are deleted. Same PS, Audio and Delay circuits. It does have a "full wet" switch inside (as does the REP-3) so you can do stereo output or parallel loop operation. Delay runs up to about 1-second.

Review units will be more available post-NAMM. Currently I have 2 of each unit in existence ! (I wanted one for Xmas too..darn). Bernie Williams :) won't even get his.....till February :(

We hit some supplier bumps along the way, and some of the programmable chips were longer lead times than expected. Many dealers have pre-orders in place, and the first runs of each are almost already spoken-for.

Digital is a new territory for our company, so we've learned a lot, and discovered new vendors we never used before. Thankfully, Ron Menelli (who designed the tap tempo and helped with some of the digital stuff) has been really very helpful with vendors, acceptable substitutions, and so forth. Doing the three at once was a challenge, but we also solved problems that applied to three units at once, to that helped !

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks Andy, I can turn it around same day and FedEx it back to you.

17. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

will that run ok off the 300mA 9vdc output on the new iso-5 from voodoo lab? would make it very convenient.

18. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I'd have to check....I use the One Spot and Godlyke, but they are 1.5 A (1500 ma?). I suspect no. The tube filament eats up a batch of current.... I'm thinking no...Seems the turn-on surge and then the continuous current are pushing things.. The smaller delays I would say yes.