1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Yairi and Takamine

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jackowskii, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jackowskii

jackowskii Member

I need opinion about Alvarez Yairi WY1
    Takamine TAN 76C
    Takamine Nashville TNV 460SC

2. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

I don't presently own an acoustic but have had 3 Taks, 4 Larrivees and 2 Martins and the Taks were my favorite. I just liked the way they played and sounded, especialy plugged in. My only complaint is the nut width on some of their dreads being too thin. I know they don't get much respect here but a lot of the pros play them and they sound pretty damn good! I probably am going to get another Tak soon. Their higher end guitars are a pretty good bang for the buck used. The Larrivees are a tremendous value but I can't seem to get used to the fingerboard/ necks for some reason.

3. telemike

telemike Member

The Cool Tube is a great pre-amp. I have a TF341DLX that is killer.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 On The Cool Tube pre-amp great and excellent sounding.
    Just sold my Takamine EC132SC which has been my main electric/nylon
    for many years, it served me well.
    I recently purchased the Hirade TH5C electric/nylon with the Cool Tube
    pre-amp and Wow!, I was totally blowned away.What a great playing instrument and with the Cool Tube pre-amp it's just simply incredible.
    My other Classical/nylon is a non-electric Hirade H-5 made in 1977 also another fine instrument.
    Takamine/Hirade are really quality instruments you can't go wrong.
    Highly recommended!

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I can't talk about what you're looking at, but... I love my Yairi DY-53. It's been a good workhorse for me acoustically...and for the price I paid a quality built and sounding instrument.

6. wpod

wpod Member

I have an WY-1, which I purchased from a fellow TGP member and could not be happier. Great build, very playable and a very nice tone. Highly recommended...

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

And I have it's twin..... The C/T Tak's are great guitars!

8. enickma

enickma Member

Takamine's are the best bang for the buck ... especially plugged in. I have their DSP pre-amp, and it's amazing. My buddy called me and told me he tried out a new one with the Cool Tube, and he bought it on the spot.

9. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

I love Taks, have two (FD360SC, NP-25C) and you can't beat 'em as gigging guitars, but I hated the DSP pre-amp in my FD360SC. You need a 2nd mortgage to afford the batteries it eats, and from a design standpoint powering it with 2 AA batteries instead of a 9V tells me that Tak signed a lucrative kickback deal with Duracell. I prefer my Korg G2 acoustic pedal for effects, and having to replace the batteries after every gig was unacceptable. Replaced the DSP with the CT-4B (it's a direct swap) and couldn't be happier. Tak all but dropped the DSP within two years, replacing it with the CT-4B and CTP-1, and currently only offers it on the JJ sigs.

10. boog204

boog204 Member

i owned a wy-1k... one of my all time fave guitars... beautifully made, gorgeous to look at, and it plays and sounds wonderful. it's not a boomer; it's very subtle unplugged and really shines plugged in.

11. enickma

enickma Member

Hmmm ... mine is okay with the battery consumption. I'll have to monitor it ... I might drop my buddies cool tube in there and see what differences it makes

12. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

+1 on the Takamine's & the Cool tube Pre. Their higher end guitars are the key to their good instruments, less than ~700 sales price you will notice a difference in quality in both sound and playability IMO.