Yairi and Takamine

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jackowskii, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jackowskii

jackowskii Member

I need opinion about Alvarez Yairi WY1
    Takamine TAN 76C
    Takamine Nashville TNV 460SC

2. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

I don't presently own an acoustic but have had 3 Taks, 4 Larrivees and 2 Martins and the Taks were my favorite. I just liked the way they played and sounded, especialy plugged in. My only complaint is the nut width on some of their dreads being too thin. I know they don't get much respect here but a lot of the pros play them and they sound pretty damn good! I probably am going to get another Tak soon. Their higher end guitars are a pretty good bang for the buck used. The Larrivees are a tremendous value but I can't seem to get used to the fingerboard/ necks for some reason.

3. telemike

telemike Member

The Cool Tube is a great pre-amp. I have a TF341DLX that is killer.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 On The Cool Tube pre-amp great and excellent sounding.
    Just sold my Takamine EC132SC which has been my main electric/nylon
    for many years, it served me well.
    I recently purchased the Hirade TH5C electric/nylon with the Cool Tube
    pre-amp and Wow!, I was totally blowned away.What a great playing instrument and with the Cool Tube pre-amp it's just simply incredible.
    My other Classical/nylon is a non-electric Hirade H-5 made in 1977 also another fine instrument.
    Takamine/Hirade are really quality instruments you can't go wrong.
    Highly recommended!

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I can't talk about what you're looking at, but... I love my Yairi DY-53. It's been a good workhorse for me acoustically...and for the price I paid a quality built and sounding instrument.

6. wpod

wpod Member

I have an WY-1, which I purchased from a fellow TGP member and could not be happier. Great build, very playable and a very nice tone. Highly recommended...

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

And I have it's twin..... The C/T Tak's are great guitars!

8. enickma

enickma Member

Takamine's are the best bang for the buck ... especially plugged in. I have their DSP pre-amp, and it's amazing. My buddy called me and told me he tried out a new one with the Cool Tube, and he bought it on the spot.

9. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

I love Taks, have two (FD360SC, NP-25C) and you can't beat 'em as gigging guitars, but I hated the DSP pre-amp in my FD360SC. You need a 2nd mortgage to afford the batteries it eats, and from a design standpoint powering it with 2 AA batteries instead of a 9V tells me that Tak signed a lucrative kickback deal with Duracell. I prefer my Korg G2 acoustic pedal for effects, and having to replace the batteries after every gig was unacceptable. Replaced the DSP with the CT-4B (it's a direct swap) and couldn't be happier. Tak all but dropped the DSP within two years, replacing it with the CT-4B and CTP-1, and currently only offers it on the JJ sigs.

10. boog204

boog204 Member

i owned a wy-1k... one of my all time fave guitars... beautifully made, gorgeous to look at, and it plays and sounds wonderful. it's not a boomer; it's very subtle unplugged and really shines plugged in.

11. enickma

enickma Member

Hmmm ... mine is okay with the battery consumption. I'll have to monitor it ... I might drop my buddies cool tube in there and see what differences it makes

12. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

+1 on the Takamine's & the Cool tube Pre. Their higher end guitars are the key to their good instruments, less than ~700 sales price you will notice a difference in quality in both sound and playability IMO.