Yairi..... Requinto

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Turbo Gerbil, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I bought this a few months ago but it's definitely one of the coolest guitars I have. I wanted a couch practice and travel "classical" guitar that was small, but also had a full width neck, unlike most reduced size classicals. Requintos have a shorter scale and small body, but the necks are still full sized width and depth. It basically feels almost exactly like if you took a classical guitar and chopped it off at the fifth fret. Most requintos I tried sounded like utter crap, but this one has a very full and deep tone. The build quality is outstanding. Out of all the requintos I tried, only this one and some high end Navarros sounded good at all.

It came pitched to A with rather thin strings, but to get more standard feel I put on some high tension classical strings and tune it to G instead. It actually can be tuned to E standard easily, and while that makes the strings slightly soft, it sounds pretty awesome and is cool to have such a small guitar in standard pitch.

very cool addition, and reminds me why I'm a Yairi fanboy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bbe_rev likes this.
  2. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

It looks very comfortable, even with that neck wide as an aircraft carrier.

3. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Plays like a full sized classical which is what I wanted :). But the action is almost flamenco low.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I've got a Colombian requinto, and also use guitar stings in G standard, rather than hunting down skinny requnto strings for A standard. Mine is about a 22" scale, which is three frets shorter than typical guitar. The top is pretty ugly, looks like it was made from six pieces of packing case, wit a little sliver of cedar at the edge of the treble bout. It sounds a lot better than it looks:

[​IMG]

5. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

cool. It has "character" at least :)