1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha AES vs. Godin

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Nov 28, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

So after long research, the top candidates for quality low-end priced mahogany guitars to be the new home for my voyaging HD Z90s are the Yamaha AES (620, or new all mahogany 720) or Godin LG.

Anybody have much experience with both these guitars, have any comparisons? I liked them both, but no store had both of them. The AES had a perfect neck for my hand and sounded pretty nice unplugged, and the Godin sounded real, real nice unplugged and had a nice neck.

-thi

2. axpro

axpro Member

I've tried and played them both, and for me, the decision is simple, Godin. THey are making some great guitars currently, and they've beefed up the neck in the last 2 years, so it isn't too thin. And hey, parts made in Canada, assembled in USA, the only part I was weak on was pickups (don't really like the SD's in the godin)

Dave Mc

But that's just my opinion...

3. rorschah

rorschah Member

Is it definitely the last two years that they beefed up the necks? I've heard different things around here.

I'm going to have to 'bay it to get it in my price range, so that's why the concern.

4. axpro

axpro Member

Ahhh, then yes, I'd shoot for the last 2 years, they changed them around 2002-2003 model year. Problem with Godin, is that they keep quiet about a lot of stuff. they actually changed to their current in the late 2002-early 2003 model year, they had thickened them up before in around 2001, before that they were kind of thin, and mid-90's they tended to be quite thin. Great guitars, but they keep to themselves a lot.

Dave Mc

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

both make very decent guitars in their price range, but i've never warmed up to how godins look...

i prefer the look of the yamahas...

6. axpro

axpro Member

hm.

Godins....

The shape IS a little bit er, less than normal....

One of the guys at work calls it an ameoba shape.

Dave Mc

7. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

i have the aes620. i think its a great guitar and plays, sounds nice as well.

8. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Ive been really playing alot of Godins lately to get more in touch with them in general. The LG has a more comfortable neck for me than like their Freeway series guitars. Those are still pretty thin, but the LG has more to hold on to there. The body contours make it pretty comfortable for me, a bit Strat feeling on the back. And the neck joint has a pretty decent carve to it for a bolt-on.

They are a bit different looking, but I think that they're one of the best value guitars out there right now.

H2H

9. SFW

SFW Member

I love my LG. I like the Duncan P90s in it as well. It plays and sounds great.

10. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

I have a P90 LG which I bought in early '04. It may be an '03 model. The neck is quite thin on it and people with larger hands may not like it. The fretboard radius is a rather flat 15 or 16". If you don't mind those then the guitar kicks major ass. The Duncans have excellent tone. Of course, you could also get a humbucker model.

I've seen them used on Ebay for $300, which is an excellent value.

11. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am a big Godin fan. I do not have a p90 guitar, but I have played a recent LG p90 version. I do have a recent LG Signature, which is the humbucking guitar with the 25.5 scale.

I have also played a few Yamahas, although they have been humbucker equipped guitars.

I agree that the older Godin necks were too thin and flat feeling, but the new beefier neck with their "ergocut" really feels great. I do not normally like flat radius necks, but in my hand these recent Godins feel really playable and comfortable.

I think that Yamaha also makes a great product, but I actually do not like the necks as well on the AES series guitars that I have played. They are well made guitars nonetheless. If you dig the neck and find one that feels right to you you cannot go wrong.

The looks are a personal choice. While it is not the best looking axe, I do not think that the Godin shape is ugly. It sort of seems like just a larger variation on the MusicMan Axis or Van Halen cutaway. The Yamaha's are a bit controversial looking too with the beveled edges. It is a personal choice.

I do like the idea that the Godins are made in North America and the seem to have more of a low key, craftsmen-like mojo. I am not xenophobic about guitars, but when compared to the Godins, the Yamahas seem like just another slick, glossy factory built import.

By the way, one similarity is that both Godin and Yamaha use a string thru bridge on most of their fixed bridge versions of the LG and AES series.

12. rorschah

rorschah Member

Awesome info.

Last question: anybody know if the move from 24 to 22 fret models happened at the same time as the move to beefier necks?

-thi

13. rorschah

rorschah Member

OK, I lied. My last question is: is there any easy way to tell from the serial number what year a Godin was made?

I hunted around that website. You're right - almost no info on this sort of thing.

They have added a note that they changed neck carves in 2001.

-thi

14. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I think that the first numbers will be year ..... 02 means 2002 etc.

By the way, here is info about Seagull serial numbers, which is a Godin company. I am going to bet that Godin follows a similar formula: "the first two digits are the year, then the month and day of final build and the last several digits are the number manufactured that week"

15. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I've played on some Godin's,...they are definitely nice guitars. The bodies are pretty light weight and they seem very well made. That said I just bought a Yamaha AES920 about a month ago,...great guitar. It has a more traditional LP feel and sound. Build quality is excellent and it's finished very well. I've also played the 620's,..great guitars for the $$$,..the 720's look cool too. The 620's and 720's are made in Korea and the 920's are made in Japan:

[​IMG]

16. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

That is a beautiful axe. I may need one of those too!

How much do the 920's sell for??

17. Mush

Mush Member

Last week I went to buy y first mahogany double humbucker guitar. I had the AES 620 and Godin LG in mind.

I didn't like the too beefy neck of the Yamaha. That was my turn off.

Then I went to shop for Godin LG guitar. Wanted the regular AA flame top but couln't find one.

I went for a much more expensive 3A top. Great guitar.

I made the pictures clickable BTW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mush

18. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Nice guitar Mush. Yowza! I have one like yours, but the top match not as good, since it is an AA.

The pictures of your Godin Signature and the previous Yamaha 920 AES show these guitars at their best. Those are a couple of gorgeous guitars with similar string thru bodies

I think that the neck profiles are a big difference in these two. Like you I prefer the Godin profile, but plenty of people like the thicker beefy necks too. I also like the Godin's familiar strat type 5 way switch.

However, the thread was about p90 guitars, so these two hum hum postings do not illustrate that configuration, which would involve different models and configuration from both companies.

19. rorschah

rorschah Member

I was actually asking about the dual humbucker guitars, since z90s are humbucker-sized sort-of-p90s.

Has anybody actually owned both and changed out the pups on both?

Still leaning in different directions, depending on the weathe...

-thi

20. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

My ownership experience is with the Godin, but I have played the AES guitars on several occassions at a couple of shops and I looked at them at NAMM last year.

There are some major differences due to the construction and scale length. The Godin Signature is 25.5 scale and the Yamaha is 24.75. The bolt on Godin and the set neck of the Yamaha impart differences too.

The Yamaha is going to be more like a modern Les Paul except for the string through bridge. The Godin is more of a hybrid, and it will be a snappier sounding guitar. The Yamaha will be a thicker Les Paul sounding axe, while the Godin is a bit more mid and treble friendly.

I am not sure about any experiences switching pickups. Both have Duncan pickups as stock equipment. The Godin has a Custom Custom in the Bridge and a Jazz in the neck while I think that the Yamaha has a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck... I think. Either way, they both start out with decent Seymour Duncan pickups