Yamaha aw1600 or Tascam 2488neo?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kokohi5, Feb 20, 2009.

1. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I'm thinking about getting one of these and was wondering what people thought about them here. I'm mainly looking for something to record 8 tracks at a time and then be able to transfer the wavs to my pc for mixing.

2. sears

sears Member

How many tracks will each record (at once, and in total) in 24 bit? 24 bit provides much wider dynamic range and more bits for mix processing even if you have to dither the final mix down to 16 bits.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

The AW 1600 is a pretty capable box. Deep editing is cumbersome but for tracking, then dumping to PC it should be fine. You can record 8 tracks at once in 24 bit, but thats it. If you want to use the other 8 tracks for overdubs, you have to record at 16 bit or bounce down. The channel pre's aren't great, but they don't totally suck either. No experience with the Tascam.

4. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Thanks guys. I'm thinking the Yamaha would have better sound quality but not as many features as the Tascam from what I've read. How is the amp simulator in the Yamaha? I wouldn't really plan on using it for finished songs, but I thought it'd be handy for basic sketch ideas, etc.

5. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I have the aw1600 and it's a good reliable machine. The tascam earlier version (2488mkII) was not. Lasted a year before it became unusable.

If the neo fixed the buggy issues (IMO) then I could go either way. Tascam inteface is easier for editing. I rarely use built-in effects. Have outboard gear for that.

6. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Thanks for the info. I was just about to get a 2488 mkII from Ebay when I read your reply. I don't know if I want to trust the neo. I think I'll go with the Yamaha. I had an AW4416 a few years ago that I liked a lot, but I sold it to go the computer route.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd actually try and find a used 4416. It's big but it does everything the smaller 1600 does, and has motorized faders and scenes. It can accept as many as 24 analog inputs with the right expansion cards plus spdif for a total of 26 to track. IF it were a bit smaller it'd be perfect. Used they run in the $600 range, I think...