Yamaha AW16G makes me crazy

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by KazJY, Jul 7, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

The AW16G seems to have TOO MUCH going for it - I am constantly scrolling through menus just to burn a CD or try a new recording technique. I am pawing through the manual (more like a book) constantly, and as a result, I don't record very often. Anyone else have this situation? I just dread recording because I have to use this very good (I know it is) recorder.

I am debating on selling it (a friend owns half, so he might just buy me out, never mind the deal that I have to record songs for him when he wants something to sing over) and getting something simpler. Should I?

I saw a review for the Tascam DP-02 which looks nice, but you can only record up to two tracks simultaneously (which I think would be ok, since I've never thought of recording more than two at a time - I'd book real studio time if I were to do that, I think). Heck, I only own two mics.

Thoughts?

2. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

I have kept my old AW16G because it's portable. It is one of those units that someday...it will just CLICK in your head and you'll get it. BUT, I know what you mean about it being complex. The recording 101 that TravisE suggest will help. You might also try some of the recording forums like http://forum.dijonstock.com/

The guys at these type recording forums helped me get "over the hump" many times. Lots of folks that are willing to help.

Lastly, I also had a BOSS BR-8. Now, that unit was EASY and didn't sound bad. It is definitely not in the same league as the AW16G for versatility but very good for putting down ideas. Boss has much better units now that will do output the sound files and such.