• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Yamaha BB Series Basses

RockinB23

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious if any one has any experience with the latest line of Yamaha BB bases. I'm considering a BB1025X. I've seen some great players using these over the years. They look like a nice passive alternative to the Fender P/J bass combinations. The 10 lbs weight is a bit scary to me but I'd mostly be sitting while I play it.

RockinB23

Silver Supporting Member
No one ever chimed in on this thread but I thought I'd post an update for those who are interested. I had some ebay bucks and an ebay gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket so I purchased a used Yamaha BB1025x and I can say that it is just a great sounding bass in every way. The fit and finish is great, the tone is great and it plays like a champ. I've read that the BB2025x is basically made in Japan with the top components and woods for the very best tone that they can muster from a passive pickup bass. The BB1025x has all the same exact components and woods but its made in Indonesia. The BB425x looks like the others but is made with different electronics/wood/components.

I've owned a couple Musicman Stingray 5s in the past and a G&L L1500 and this BB1025x holds its own with those no problem.

I originally took interest in these BB basses because of Abraham Laboriel's bass playing, he's used them in the past and probably still has one or two. I also saw Nathan East uses a variation of them as well.

LanEvo

I've played some BB2000 and BB3000 basses from the '80s. Great rock tone. Works really well for slap, too.

But I've got no experience with the new, lower-end, bolt-on models. I'd expect them to be at least as good as a Mexican Fender. Yamaha generally does a good job with fit and finish.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
You can't go wrong with the ones from the 80's. Fantastic instruments. The newer ones are by most accounts plenty good, though I've not played one personally. Yamaha makes good stuff.

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
Necro bump!

Picked up a BB734A today. I have to say, this is easily the best playing bass I’ve ever come across. Super easy to play, sounds amazing, awesome features, and an easily-attainable price point.

I’ve been playing it in passive mode all night and am floored by the sounds. Switch it into active and the fun really begins. Truly a remarkable instrument!!

thomas4th

I've been playing my BB614 for several years now, and it's lovely. I look at other basses now and then, but the Yamaha does everything I want. I have flatwounds on it and it's pure joy. I'm sure the newer ones are at least as good.

Sam Hill

I have an RBX 170 that I picked up used, very cheaply. New, these things go for $270 MSRP, so you really shouldn't expect too much when you're buying one, so I didn't.

Now obviously, when you sell a bass for $270, something's gotta give, so I assume the parts are junk: I've heard that the tuners are plastic, and I guess the bridge is pot metal, OK, but the bass sounds pretty good, and it plays great, and the fit and finish are flawless - literally as good as any high-end bass I've seen.

How do they do it? Do they trash 3/4 of their production, or are all their assemblers so skilled as to put other manufacturers to shame?

Yamaha, you're blowin' my mind, man! :eek:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom