Yamaha DBR 10 speakers with Nord keyboard- bass is muddy with organ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Aaaaa, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM.

1. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Hi,
    I am using a Nord keyboard and Yamaha Dbr speakers. For the most part I have been using them at home, and I have been playing with the various settings on the speakers-including front of house, as a monitor and with the d-contour off.

I find that the bass with some of the keyboard functions lack clarity and are extremely muddy. This is especially the case with some of the organ sounds...Has anyone else experienced this at at all with these speakers?

For those that use them in a small area for practice, which mode do you prefer-the FOH, monitor or off?
    Thanks,

2. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Not familiar with those speakers (I play a Nord Electro 5 into QSC K10.2's), but one thing that comes to mind is if the speakers are on the floor. If so, raising them or isolating them will help. Also, adjusting the EQ on the Nord to suit the speakers might also help. Nord has a forum that is very helpful as well.

3. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Thank you for your reply. I just have the one speaker, but I will try raising them. I have played with the EQ a bit, but admittedly not a ton. I will spend a little more time on that. Thanks again.

silver surfer likes this.
  4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I believe that speaker has a 100hz low shelf setting. That low bass often translates to mud. I'd start by using the 100hz shelf setting. Then getting off the floor will help. Beyond that you may have to EQ your keys to roll off even more bass.

hunter

5. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Thanks for your reply Hunter...Do you mean the lower of the two high pass filters?

6. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I just looked more closely and the HPF switch has two options 100hz and 120hz. I would try both and see which one clears up the mud the best. Either one should leave you with pretty good bass content.

Then there is the more complicated add a sub solution. I am not a fan and especially don't find the more convenient, lighter subs to be that effective. Real subs take real power. But a lot of folks like the lighter duty speakers just for adding some bass feel.

hunter

silver surfer and Rod like this.
  7. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

I'll play around more with that...thanks for your reply!

8. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

The higher you cut, the less bass will come through.

Rod and Aaaaa like this.
  9. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Honestly, those speakers suck for exactly that reason. I got one last year for a powered monitor for our drummer and have also been using it as a monitor for acoustic shows. It has a terrible boomy low end and boxy sound, I've read others complain about them too, I wish I had done more research before I bought it because I sincerely hate this thing and will eventually sell it for something else. BTW, I've tried both FOH and Monitor modes and the two HPF settings, and all sound like crap, there seems to be no fix for the muddy, boomy low end I know of.

10. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Okay- thank you for that. I dont find a ton of difference between any of the settings quite honestly.

11. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Before the speaker takes all the blame, have you tried other speakers?

12. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

That is my plan....good call.

13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Same, I have pretty good ears and I couldn't tell much, if any difference between settings either.

14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I have tried many brands and found that the EV ELX or even the ZLX series are the best bang for the buck around.

Aaaaa likes this.
  15. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I think you'll find the most recommended powered speaker for Nords is the QSC K series. Highly recommend them. A QSC K8.2 would be my first recommendation. Plenty of volume if that is a concern. If the cost is too high, the original series with the K8 or K10 is almost as good and can be found used for a good price.

Aaaaa likes this.
  16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I wouldn't overlook the CP8 either. I am using one as a small room PA and as my FRFR for my DI electric guitar rig. Not great for thump but for electric guitar it is pretty solid. It *is* only an 8 after all. But way more speaker than you might guess. For comparison we also have K10s and K12s we use. The CP8 might not be quite on par but a good speaker just the same. And very good weight and form factor.

hunter

Aaaaa and silver surfer like this.
  17. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I do like those, should have went with one instead but these were on sale for cheap and I generally trust Yamaha equipment.

Aaaaa and Pastafarian like this.
  18. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I have not heard that series yet, but would feel pretty confident that they are great speakers. Good to hear your experience with them is positive.

19. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Surprised to hear the concerns with the DBR series. Always heard good things about the DXR for keyboards.

20. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Apparently the DXR are a lot better. They can't all be hits I guess and this is Yamaha's bottom of the barrel line of speakers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:58 PM
    silver surfer likes this.