Yamaha DBR 10 speakers with Nord keyboard

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Aaaaa, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:27 AM.

1. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Hi,
    I am using a Nord keyboard and Yamaha Dbr speakers. For the most part I have been using them at home, and I have been playing with the various settings on the speakers-including front of house, as a monitor and with the d-contour off.

I find that the bass with some of the keyboard functions lack clarity and are extremely muddy. This is especially the case with some of the organ sounds...Has anyone else experienced this at at all with these speakers?

For those that use them in a small area for practice, which mode do you prefer-the FOH, monitor or off?
    Thanks,

2. Madsen

Madsen Member

Looks like there's also a High Pass Filter - HPF switch. Might try tweaking that to shave off some bottom end. I'm not familiar with these speakers in particular but a HPF has helped with a couple amps I have.

Aaaaa and silver surfer like this.
  3. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Thank you for your reply. I am now at home and think I can better describe the issue.
    It tends to be worse on presets with a split keyboard but any where much below middle C, and especially below C3 I have to play quite hard to hear the bass. It is barely perceptible.
    Again this is primarily on organ presets, for e.g., rhodes and B3s.

4. Madsen

Madsen Member

Are the D-CONTOUR & HPF set to OFF when you have trouble hearing the low end? Looks like FOH/MAIN does low and high Boosts. MONITOR has a low Cut.
    If you are having trouble hearing the low end i'd switch HPF off & set D-CONTOUR to FOH/MAIN.

The synth may also be contributing to your issues. There tend to be sweet spots on keyboards where they sound the best & they can vary depending on the type of sound you are playing & the type of synthesis it uses. Sometimes there are ways to dial the mix in better, ie. turn up the bottom sound & turn down the top sound, but you may have to RTFM for that.

5. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

6. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

That.might be the case re the synth. Sorry what do you mean be RTFM? Again, thank you for taking the time.

7. Madsen

Madsen Member

It's an ancient tech industry initialism that means "Read The F-ing Manual".

8. Aaaaa

Aaaaa Member

Throwing out instructions and maps is the first thing I do!!!

Madsen likes this.